What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Saving threads

Dorfie

Well Known Member
I know I am somewhat handicapped when it comes to computer issues! I have done my best to figure out how to save threads of interest on this forum, but to no avail. And I just know when I am told it will be sooooo straight forward :eek:
Please help me!!
Thanks
Johan

When are reading a thread, you can just bookmark the page (using your browser bookmark feature).

For people with a tablet, one of my favorite apps is InstaPaper. I'll take a good thread - like DanH's paint finishing thread - use the thread feature for viewing it for print, and then copy the resulting URL over to Instapaper. The result is the thread, complete with images, available on my tablet for off-line reading. I keep a folder for VAF :)

One way to do it ...

When logged in (and that is important - doesn't apply if you haven't logged in as a registered user), and reading a thread, you have a "Thread Tools" drop down in the menu. Click "Subscribe to this thread" in that menu. This will "save" or "bookmark" a link to that particular thread for you.

Then, later when you want to go back to it, take a look under the Quick Links menu item, in the Miscellaneous group, you have a "Subscribed Threads" menu item. Click that and it shows all the threads you have subscribed to, and you can quickly and easily get back to ones you have "saved". Don't know if there is a limit to the number you can subscribe to, but would suggest keeping it to a small number of "really good ones".

Hope this answers your question.

another reason for doing it that way ...

If you're like me and access VAF in many places and on different computers (ie home and various work sites) the method I described is dependent on your logging in to the site, rather than what has been "bookmarked" in your browser, ie a bookmark on a computer at home is as useless to you on a computer at work as (1) runway behind you; (2) fuel not in the tanks; (3) altitude above you etc etc :)

BTW, the Internet IS VAF, isn't it? ;) I have so little free time, and this site is SOOOOO good, its about all I do on the web these days.

I have sent myself an email, with the thread address copied/pasted into it.

I keep a VAF folder in my email.

Another way

I copy the link to the thread and paste it into an Excel spreadsheet. In the next column, I put a short description of the thread contents. I can open my Excel sheet and just click the link--takes me right to the thread.

Steve
Skyking902001
RV8--fuse in process

That is exactly what I do as well. I also mail myself links to pages with tools and such.

This also works for me.... paste the thread address. And will also copy and paste the post of interest. That way I can search it in my VAF e-mail folder and print them out.

Wow, after 5 years on the site, I never knew a lot of this! Great thread, I think I'll bookmark it, subscribe and copy it! :D

Cheers,
greg

Evernote

I use Evernote to keep track of and catalog building tips even though I'm a ways off from building. You can create a notebook for each kit and tag each note with multiple tags to make it easier to find later.

I use it for more than just VAF and see it as a central respository for all things RV.

Good stuff here

Some one should mine it, compose a book and publish it. Would probably sell a few hundred copies. I'd buy one.

Bob Axsom

Thanks to all

What great and helpful replies. I managed to set mine up sending myself e-mails with the links and them onto Excel spread sheet under different headings.
Much appreciated.
Johan

Some good ideas above.

There are some very good ideas above. Especially if your mobile. For really good tips I save them to my build website which you can access below and look at Builder Tips on the top RH side. I do try to ask the person who posted the tip if it ok to do this and I have never had a refusal yet. I also link to good builder sites and photo galleries in two areas further down on the RH side on my site. The first is devoted to RV-4 but not solely as there are not many RV-4 build sites about. So, I also put other RV type sites here too where I feel there is good information that can be migrated to the RV-4. Because my initial wish was to build an RV-3, I had links to some very good RV-3 sites and these I have kept on my site and are an area further down on the RH side.

When I am mobile I can access my site and I have access to most of the information I require.

I keep also a comprehensive bookmarks folder which is not only used for flying and building but also for the rest of my life's activities too.

Feel free to bookmark my site or add it to your own build site and use it as a reference if you think it will help you.

Last edited:
Thanks

Anthony,
Thanks for the reply. I have bookmarked/copied your site.
Much appreciated.
Johan

Back