What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best BBQ EVER!!

339A

Well Known Member
Had some time off from the work project, so a joy flight around Dallas was in order. Due to a hankering for BBQ and recommendations on this list, a last- minute decision was made to head for Stephenville airport and the Hard 8.

stepenvilleairportuk4.jpg

Deb and I were flabbergasted; this has to be the BEST BBQ we?ve ever experienced. Forget the side dishes--we were having a carnivore meat fest.
We tried the ribs, chicken, sausage and brisket. Everything was superb, with the ribs being my personal fave.

hard8beefhe1.jpg

The return trip to Addison involved a stop at Granbury airport for $2.55 fuel and then around the south side of Dallas for the scenic city tour.

dallaslakega6.jpg

If time allows during our extended stay here, another trip to the Hard 8 is in our plans. If you?re ever in the Dallas area and are a fan of BBQ, this is one stop you don?t want to miss!

Best BBQ EVER!!! In Texas OK, but...

You guys know what to do with a PIG?

Round here, I'm kinda partial to the Pink Pig, in Levy, SC.

http://www.the-pink-pig.com/

Best BBQ EVER is a purdy big claim. I've personally been photographed twice by Southern Living Magazine, at the Pink Pig and was told it was the best BBQ EVER!

Let the debate begin!

BBQ Gauntlet

Robby,
Talk is cheap. I'd rather taste BBQ than talk about it.

I offered to bring some of KC's finest ribs (with all the trimmings) down to Dallas or Houston last year in Keith Schult's RV6A... thought we had a shot at a little BBQ exchange/taste-off RV style.

Some folks on the forum made comments about there being no BBQ worth tasting from north of the Red River, blah blah blah, but no takers.

On the other hand, it's probably just as well-I'm not sure Keith or I could have resisted the smell of ribs in the plane for three hours! Not to mention sticky grips, napkins all over the plane, etc.

Mike

In Coppell, too..

.. hard eight recently opened in Coppell, TX (just NE of DFW) at W. Bethel Rd and Freeport Parkway.

Its pretty good stuff.

TX guys its on me if land at SAV

I'll buy. Best way to shut someone up is to feed them. Offer is open. Just need some notice!

BAR HAS BEEN RAISED!

Good

Scott, glad you fly into Stephenville and tried the Hard 8 on Sunday. Sorry we missed you as there were two other RVs on the ramp when you arrived. Ours and the Sutter's were there also and we were enjoying the BBQ. Saw your plane when we walked back the the airport. Good stuff!!

I'm guessing this is one topic hotter than a primer war. Kansas City, Memphis, Carolina, Texas....it's all good but..

When I was down visiting Mark Frederick in Taylor, TX, he took us to some place downtown that looked like it burned down twice without being re-built. Just benches and tables and BBQ. The brisket was absolutely incredible. I've been looking for some mail order brisket but haven't found any yet that measures up. If you know of any from TX, please drop me a line.

"Best" is always Debatable

One thing I get to do with my job is eat out A LOT... It does get old after a fashion believe it or not. Having said that, I do get to try all kinds of local flavors in my travels. Previous to going to the Hard 8 my favorite BBQ place was somewhere near Montrose, MO. The guys from the power plant brought me to a place about 30 miles from there. I don't remember the name or location, but it was my fave. That was 6 years ago, and I hadn?t had anything better until Sunday. :D What I really enjoyed most about the Hard 8 is that the flavor is ?smoked? into the meat and not slathered with sauce. When I took that first bite into a rib I thought I died and gone to heaven.

As far as Colorado favorites we just don?t have a BBQ place that can even compare to the Hard 8. We do have a favorite up in Bailey, CO called Hog Heaven and while it?s GOOD, it?s nowhere near this. Now as for Mexican that's a different story?. hands down the best and benchmark that I use to compare all Mexican restaurants to is the Brewery Bar II in Denver. Anytime anyone is in the area give me a call, we?ll go there and you can decide. I have found NONE to beat it yet and I eat at Mexican joints everywhere I go.

favorite BBQ place was somewhere near Montrose, MO. The guys from the power plant brought me to a place about 30 miles from there. I don't remember the name or location, but it was my fave. That was 6 years ago, and I hadn?t had anything better until Sunday.
Was it the A C Rib Shaack?

Now as for Mexican that's a different story?. hands down the best and benchmark that I use to compare all Mexican restaurants to is the Brewery Bar II in Denver. Anytime anyone is in the area give me a call, we?ll go there and you can decide. I have found NONE to beat it yet and I eat at Mexican joints everywhere I go.
Oh, boy .... Them's fighting words...

DAL: Mia's Tex-Mex, a 5 minute cab ride. Looks like a dump, just a house. Get the brisket tacos - they were off the menu for a long time but due to popular demand are on. The real deal.

ADS: Gloria's, more El Salvador Mex than Tex-Mex. Get the Carne Asada and a top shelf Margarita (if you're done flying for the day). And the female patrons ain't bad either.

AUS: The North Austin Chuy's. Go for the Green Chili Avacado Enchiladas on Wednesday (?) - spicy, flavorful, smooth. Also Guero's Taco Bar just south of town, which is much closer to AUS. And don't forget Tamale Hut down by old Mueller airport - most excellent breakfast tacos.

Going to make a trip from DAL to Yellowstone in the Miata this summer, will be coming through CO on the way.

TODR

Gloria's it is

ADS: Gloria's, more El Salvador Mex than Tex-Mex. Get the Carne Asada and a top shelf Margarita (if you're done flying for the day). And the female patrons ain't bad either.

Well then it's off to Gloria's we go tonight. I'll let you know tomorrow how it was. ;)

Was it the A C Rib Shaack?

I really wish I could remember... :confused: I'd like to go back there again sometime, but I wasn't driving that night. Funny thing was, I went there with a very devout Jewish couple and I knew they weren't gonna have the pork. :p

Best BBQ

Well, many here are passionate about their BBQ. Since leaving Ft. Worth, Texas and ending up in Denver, I have been looking for good BBQ. OK can be found.

BUT, while in Ft. Worth I lived a few miles from Railhead BBQ. I was back recently for an F-35 interview with Lockheed and went with a duddy. I chatted with the manager and he said they will over night their meats on dry ice.

Some of the best BBQ I have had. For you northern types or BBQ challanged, take a look.

http://www.railheadonline.com/shop/index.php

Best BBQ Ever

Ya know.
Ever since driving the very first rivet, I have been dreaming of the "All America BBQ Tour".
I have even gone so far as to create an Excel spread sheet (that I try to keep updated) on the Carolina's, Tennessee, Missouri, and Texas.
I even have a cousin in Calyfornia with a credit card, that if I said "BBQ Tour", he would say "I'll get my hat".
With 307.4 hours on the hobbs I have still yet to pull the trigger, but you guys are pushing me over the edge.
I guess I should take guidance from the Nike add, and "just do it".

Ever since driving the very first rivet, I have been dreaming of the "All America BBQ Tour".
I have even gone so far as to create an Excel spread sheet (that I try to keep updated) on the Carolina's, Tennessee, Missouri, and Texas.

I know that BBQ is a closely held secret but are you willing to share this "All American BBQ Tour" list? My wife is from Tulsa and I live in Missouri and we have had this conversation several times of using the RV for the purpose of BBQ. Never created a list but have been making secret mental notes.

Coasters & BBQ?

Ya know.

Great idea! My hangar mate hatched a plan to go on a ?roll coaster tour? around the country. It would be fun to combine the two. Would really like to see your BBQ list, Griff, if you don?t mind. This is something that would require a bit of pre-planning for sometime in the future.

Another eating event that we have been trying to get to is the Lincoln County Cowboy Symposium in Ruidoso Downs, New Mexico. This happens every year in October (this year the 9th to 11th). There is a Chuckwagon Cook-off that is supposed to be Top Notch. It would be nice to schedule LOE the same weekend so those who wanted to could drive/fly up to the BBQ lunch (before the Saturday night LOE banquet) about 100 miles from Las Cruces. :cool: Anyone know when LOE is scheduled for this year? Doooug?

Last edited:
Scott,

I enjoyed reading your article and seeing the photos, too! Jamie and I are looking forward to the fun when the RV is finished. Maybe by the time you all get this BBQ tour planned, we'll have a plane ready to join you!

Say hello to Deb!

Bruce & Jamie

Time to resurrect this thread. I'm drooling just reading it.
drool.gif

Hi Brian,

Since I was the guy who started this thread, I figured I better respond.

I see that you hail from North Carolina, aka "The Cradle of Cue". I have only once had Carolina style "Cue". Don't think I was in N.C. at the time, however, but it was touted as N.C. cue nonetheless. It was very good. I am a big fan of the vinager style and really enjoyed it. In fact, I'm a big fan of vinegar on a lot of things. But for a true, full experience we will need to travel in 339A to N.C. for an "official" tasting. :cool:

We are currently stuck in Orlando, FL sans airplane. ;) We got stymied yet again by weather and had to fly in the silver tube. While here, the only BBQ I've had was at a Sonny's, and we all know that is just fast food BBQ.

Just no comparison to the Hard Eight ... it isn't even fair to make one. In fact, they are having a fly-in at Stephenville tomorrow to promote the Hard Eight. If we had been home, Deb and I had planned on flying down just for it. :eek:

As of this date, I still haven't tasted BBQ that can displace the Hard Eight from its pedestal. But, I've yet to try N.C. cue.

Hi Brian,

Since I was the guy who started this thread, I figured I better respond.

I see that you hail from North Carolina, aka "The Cradle of Cue". I have only once had Carolina style "Cue". Don't think I was in N.C. at the time, however, but it was touted as N.C. cue nonetheless. It was very good. I am a big fan of the vinager style and really enjoyed it. In fact, I'm a big fan of vinegar on a lot of things. But for a true, full experience we will need to travel in 339A to N.C. for an "official" tasting. :cool:

We are currently stuck in Orlando, FL sans airplane. ;) We got stymied yet again by weather and had to fly in the silver tube. While here, the only BBQ I've had was at a Sonny's, and we all know that is just fast food BBQ.

Just no comparison to the Hard Eight ... it isn't even fair to make one. In fact, they are having a fly-in at Stephenville tomorrow to promote the Hard Eight. If we had been home, Deb and I had planned on flying down just for it. :eek:

As of this date, I still haven't tasted BBQ that can displace the Hard Eight from its pedestal. But, I've yet to try N.C. cue.

I am originally from Atlanta, GA and have eaten tomato based bbq sauce all my life. Would that be Memphis style? Same thing you have in Texas.

We moved to NC in 2003 and I never tried NC style (vinegar based) until maybe two years ago. I always thought, "Who wants vinegar BBQ?" and I never would try it. But a couple of years ago, maybe if that long ago, I decided to try it.

We have a local one a few miles from me called 'Bubba's' that has good reviews. I went and got a pulled pork sandwich (which is my favorite thing to eat) with vinegar sauce, and vinegar based cole slaw on it (I'm a mayo based slaw guy). I took one bite and it was awesome. I couldn't believe how good it was. Now is it better than the other? No. Just different, but good in it's own way. So now I eat both.

I only like the vinegar based slaw on the sandwich though. I still like mayo based if eating it by itself. A lot of times I will put tomato based and vinegar based sauce both on the meat. But anyway, I couldn't believe I liked it and regretted not trying it for the first 5 years I was up here. :D

Sauce is so North of the Red River

If you need sauce for your barbecue, it's not good enough. Purists don't use sauce, and some hard core places don't even offer it. I love the Hard 8, even more than Angelo's here in Fort Worth. Cooper's (originally from Llano) has just opened a place in the Stockyards and I'm anxious to try it. Lots of good places.

Back