What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Escape to Sedona

Capt Sandy

Well Known Member
It?s getting hot here in Ajo, so we decided to go to Sedona to escape the heat and do a little hiking:

Yay! There is room above the camping gear for my hat
i-L972M95-S.jpg

Ajo airport
i-r45pqkj-S.jpg

500 AGL over Cabeza Prieta and through the VFR corridor of the restricted area
i-CRdcj2g-S.jpg

The border patrol checkpoint 40 miles north of the border
i-kxK4v5h-S.jpg

Ah! Sedona. Downwind to 21
i-Jt73ddv-S.jpg

We found a dragon while hiking
i-CHLDg3C-S.jpg

Beautiful Red Rocks
i-BMtGKgB-S.jpg

Coffee and breakfast after a night of sleeping under a snow-globe of stars
i-npgL27F-S.jpg

Sedona

Sedona is beautiful this time of year!
We did it a few years back

Did you fly over Meteor Crater?

Hope to see you when you get back to the NW
Jim

Missed you guys out west by a couple weeks, I was able to introduce my oldest (girl of course) to what the real west has to offer. Nice dragon by the way....

Sandy, I take it you hiked from the airport? Is there a decent trail system linking the airport to public lands?

Thanks,

Flight to Sedona

Sedona is beautiful this time of year!
We did it a few years back

Did you fly over Meteor Crater?

Hope to see you when you get back to the NW
Jim

Hi Jim! We did not fly over Meteor Crater because we flew to Sedona from Ajo, Arizona, almost directly south and about an hour flight from Sedona. Ajo has been ?home base? for the winter.
We plan to be back in the PNW in May/June. It would be great to see you too!

Sandy, I take it you hiked from the airport? Is there a decent trail system linking the airport to public lands?

Thanks,

Hello Andy,
We did not hike from the airport. We rented a car at the airport, which after taxes and such turned out to be $50, but we kept it for more than 24 hours. We brought our camping gear, so hiking to/from the airport wasn?t an option for us. And its quite a hike to town (for us, anyway). There really isn?t a trail system linking the airport to public lands, however there are do-able options:
The airport trail IS walkable from the airport, and is a nice trail with fantastic views.
Airport rental car by the hour or half day or day. LOTS of nice hikes a short drive from the airport.
Airport as loaner bikes (note airport is on top of a Mesa, so it would be an exciting ride down, then you have to ride back up!)
If your pockets are flush with cash, rent a Jeep (we did this for a day when we were visiting the area with family). Access to great trails off the beaten path, and tons of fun.

Please, if anyone else has info, chime in!

Side note - we figured out how to camp on BLM land, which offsets cost of rental car (thereby allowing more for airplane fuel).

Fair Winds!! Let us know if you go, and what you end up doing.

Sandra

Dragons in planes

Missed you guys out west by a couple weeks, Nice dragon by the way....

Hi Andy! Roy and I were wondering if you made it out west this year. I?m sorry we missed you. Hope we can catch up before PJ next year. Maybe come up our way? And, your dragon fit in your plane. I just couldn?t for the life of me, WILL that dragon down off the mountain and small enough to fit in the RV.

Tampa to Sedona

The wife and I are headed to Sedona in a couple of weeks in our -10. Any suggestions on where to go and what to see would be appreciated. Will be hoteling it but want to do some hiking. Is off road sightseeing in a Jeep really doable?

Hi Sandy and Roy!

You guys are always having fun in many great spots! Thanks for sharing, love your stories too.

A couple years ago we flew and camped at PAN Payson, South of Sedona. Nice desert style campground with nice bathrooms and showers on the field. Worth a trip also for the restaurant on the field, busy on the weekends for breakfast!

Next weekend flying close, another trip to Bullhead AZ, helping folks pack and move, not fun but at least I get to fly.

Save June 21-24 for Cavanaugh Bay. :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Ajo

Sandy you mentioned Ajo is that P01 Eric Marcus Municipal? Do they have any fuel? Tell me more about that airport please. Their listed phone # seems to be disconnected :)

Ride the Train

When Janet and I stopped there about 8 years ago, there was a train ride at Clarkdale a few miles west on hwy 89. It was a neat ride up thru the canyon they call the little grand canyon. We had rented a car, so it was doable. I would like to stop there again sometime. The flying views were spectacular.

dining

There is a great Mexican restrant in town, in town at the circle go south it,s on the left one or two blocks. Not to miss. There are wonderful jeep trips not to be missed

Elote, great Mexican resturant in Sedona

One of our favorite restaurants (anywhere, not just Sedona) is Elote. Great food, attentive staff, nice atmosphere.

Elote is open for dinner at 5pm Tues thru Sat. We flew to Sedona on Tuesday rather than the previous two days so we could dine there. Expect to wait for a table. They don't take reservations. We got in line at 4:30 and when we got to the hostess stand we put our name on a list for a later return. This is not a reservation. Returned at 6:40 and were seated in less than 5 minutes. Guests arriving at that time were told to expect a hour and 45 minute wait.

We got to visit with the executive chef and owner Jeff Smestad for several minutes. Sandy asked about troubles she had making his Tres Leches Cake and got a tip. I told him about a mole secret we learned in southern AZ and Jeff said he would go home and try it!

https://www.elotecafe.com/home

Regards,

Jeep Rentals and P01

Sandy and I spent about a week in Sedona a couple of years ago with my brother and his wife. It was cheaper to rent a Jeep from https://barlows.us/barlow-adventures-sedona/ for 24 hours than it was for the four of us to go on a Jeep tour. LOTS more fun.

Vlad -- see my separate post regarding P01.

Regards,

Back