What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 7 Pilots operating handbook

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
Is there one available somewhere such as Van's website or elsewhere? I looked on their website pretty thoroughly.
Thanks in advance!

I modified one from the VAF home page, if you'd like a copy. It is in Word format.

And what has to be in a POH? When I first started flying some of the old planes that I flew had very thin pohs. As years went by they got much thicker due to liability problems.

And what has to be in a POH? When I first started flying some of the old planes that I flew had very thin pohs. As years went by they got much thicker due to liability problems.

I mostly use mine for the checklists. As mentioned, it is not required but a good idea, IMO.

* Pre-Flight
* Engine start cold
* Engine start hot
* Pre-takeoff
* Cruise
* Pre-landing

You can have as many as you want. I also have checklists in my EFIS but prefer the paper version.

If you think back to your student pilot days, the documentation that required to be on board is:

A- airworthiness certificate
R- registration
R- radio station license (maybe)
O- operating limitations
W- weight and balance data

Most folks are used to seeing both the operational limitations and the weight and balance info in the appropriate sections of a POH, but that's not required. For that matter, approved checklists aren't typically required for pt 91airplanes either.

There are a ton of old certified airplanes flying around that never had a POH from the factory. They comply with the Operating Limitations requirement by means of placards and color coding, and the w&b requirement with some arithmetic on a sheet of paper in the glove box.

So how is one supposed to create a POH prior to first flight?

I used the Van's numbers as listed in the build manual and web site. We discussed the numbers as a starting point for test flight. You won't be able to verify all the numbers on the first flight.

I updated my POH after Phase 1.

Back