What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Return to Phase 1 time frame/process

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Not including engine or prop changes (which are in a different category paperwork wise), what is the actual process for coordinating with the FSDO per op lims for a less but still “major change” like adding an autopilot? Is it simply a matter of getting verbal/phone approval with the FSDO (including test area) or will they require a form of some sort, and then perhaps have to approve it in written form as well? Put another way, is this something that can be done with a quick phone call in the morning and expect to be test flying as soon as I hang up the phone?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Not including engine or prop changes (which are in a different category paperwork wise), what is the actual process for coordinating with the FSDO per op lims for a less but still ?major change? like adding an autopilot? Is it simply a matter of getting verbal/phone approval with the FSDO (including test area) or will they require a form of some sort, and then perhaps have to approve it in written form as well? Put another way, is this something that can be done with a quick phone call in the morning and expect to be test flying as soon as I hang up the phone?
Thanks.

It depends on your operating limitations. Some simply require that you "notify the FSDO of your test area", and some require "approval in writing".

Thanks Mel. My op lims say I must “notify” and “obtain concurrence” from FSDO “as to the suitability of the proposed test area.” Doesn’t say whether it has to be written.

Is an Auto-pilot addition/or change a Major Modification?

I'm asking Mel more than the OP.

I changed mine out during a bunch of stuff that was Major (read: Catto Prop) but it was just opportunistic. I knew I was going to fly off some Phase 1 either way.

Is an Auto-pilot addition/or change a Major Modification?
I'm asking Mel more than the OP.
I changed mine out during a bunch of stuff that was Major (read: Catto Prop) but it was just opportunistic. I knew I was going to fly off some Phase 1 either way.

Yes, installing an autopilot modifies your control system and can affect the flight characteristics of the aircraft.

Along these lines.

We're replacing our IO-540-C4B5 with a IO-540 Thunderbolt.

And I added a yaw damper to our existing garmin system.

Should I go back to phase 1, or at least ask our FSDO if I should?

Not including engine or prop changes (which are in a different category paperwork wise), what is the actual process for coordinating with the FSDO per op lims for a less but still “major change” like adding an autopilot? Is it simply a matter of getting verbal/phone approval with the FSDO (including test area) or will they require a form of some sort, and then perhaps have to approve it in written form as well? Put another way, is this something that can be done with a quick phone call in the morning and expect to be test flying as soon as I hang up the phone?
Thanks.

Thanks Mel. My op lims say I must “notify” and “obtain concurrence” from FSDO “as to the suitability of the proposed test area.” Doesn’t say whether it has to be written.

Back to the original question... I’m interested in how quick the approval process was for those who went back into phase 1 and who have similar operating limitations as I. Am I likely to get away with just a quick phone call?
Thanks.

Back