What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removable Floorboards - Question

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
I intend to make the floorboards removable with screws and nutplates like others did. To get the rear floorboards F-830-1 and F-831-1 easier out of the plane they should be separated.
Here are two pictures on which my intended cut line is marked with a white line. The plan is to rivet an aluminum stripe under the rear floorboard parts with nutplates on their extensions where the front parts will be screwed on.
I also intend to cut out the rear floorboards around the F-445 Flap Bearing Blocks to get them out without removing the flap drive.

Question: Is it the right location to separate the floorboards? What else has to be considered I might not be aware of?

Last edited:
Are you going to just cut the Vans supplied floors into two pieces more or less along that white line?
If that is your plan I would have an issue with both ends now being unsupported. Any pressure or weight along that seam will just bend the ends of the unsupported floor down. Perhaps better to chose one bulkheads and split it there. Cut one section long leaving the screw holes and then make a new section also long that also can be screwed into the same bulkhead.
Or maybe I am not understanding what your plan is.

Good point. Doing it my suggested way however I can get a smooth transition. Also instead of a straight aluminum stripe I could make an angled piece to give some stiffness.

Just don't cut the floor boards at all.

i made my 8A floor boards removeable, but I did not cut any of the stock panels. Sure, it is a fiddle to get them in and out, but you are not going to be doing it very often.

Also did not cut my floor boards. They are a little awkward to get in & out, but not a big deal. Installed nut plates on the rivet holes.

Back