What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Empennage Kit Pictures?

ThomasJay

Hello out there. From some of the more recent threads out there, it sounds like some of the RV-14 Empennage kits are slated for delivery this week. If at all possible, can someone please post some pictures of their kit inventory? I?d like to know the length of the tail cone. Does it come up to the baggage area? Kind Regards?

RV-14 Emp/tailcone Photos

Here are a couple photos for you of my emp/tailcone kit I picked up yesterday. Lots of parts!

Emp1_zpse9450d57.jpg

Emp2_zps96ad407c.jpg

I'm guessing that the tailcone sheet metal is about 7' long and the spar about 8' long but I'd have to check. The spar is not shown in the photos and everything is bigger than it appears.

The two piece ribs in the rudder and elevator look like a great idea so they can be back riveted. The assembly looks like it'll be much easier than my -9 emp. Similar in size to the -9 but under the skin appear to be much different design. I'm very impressed with what I see so far just browsing the plans.

Hello out there. From some of the more recent threads out there, it sounds like some of the RV-14 Empennage kits are slated for delivery this week. If at all possible, can someone please post some pictures of their kit inventory? I?d like to know the length of the tail cone. Does it come up to the baggage area? Kind Regards?

It comes up to the baggage bulkhead.

Hello Mark, Thanks for taking the time to respond with photos. I thought everyone forgot about this thread. And to HeliCooper, that is exactly what I wanted to know. So the tail cone ends at the baggage bulkhead. I had hoped to ask the Van?s Rep at Copperstate but was grounded here in Socal due to heavy IFR conditions on Friday? bummer. Thanks again for the posting. This has cleared things up and has brought the cost into context too. Kind Regards

costs

Have I missed an official update to the complete kit pricing on the vans site? The new kitplanes put us at $28,000 for the kit. I think I paid $25,000 for my Rans S-19 airframe kit complete with everything. Other than learning solid riveting again, and this time getting good at it, Im looking forward to finishing #5. I did not order the emp kit yet as the wings will keep me busy till March with my work schedule.

That's my today task, riveting those round top skins. Not as bad as I thought to reach so far. Left side complete right side started, hopefully finished by the end of the day.

Pictures of finished empennage and tail cone

Has anyone finished their RV-14 empennage and tail cone and can post a couple pictures?

Measured my HS spar...9.5 feet! It's going to be like building a third wing, gang!

That's pretty accurate - one wing spar for my RV-3B measures less than 9 1/4 feet. Since the RV-3B spars meet in the middle of the fuselage, one wing without the tip or the inboard end of the spar is only 95 inches long.

That RV-14 is going to be a big airplane!

Dave

Wow, check out that shop too! All that room and clean. I'm jealous.

That is exactly what I was thinking, setting that bar pretty high for this mere mortal.

The empennage kit includes much more of the airframe than I expected.

Thanks for the link to the pictures!

Empennage riveted

IMG_3170s.jpg

Checking the fit of the Horizontal and Vertical Stabiliser.

A great kit helps a lot, looking good.

Back