What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine and Power Wires

YvesCH

Well Known Member
Dear all,

I am mostly done with the wiring of my RV-8 Fuselage. Now I am starting to set up the Panel and all the small Garmin Boxes behind the Panel. As I do not yet have the Engine ist hard to imagine where all the cables from the engine go to the Garmin GEA-24, as well as the battery cable and groundling block. I am not sure how to get all the cables from the Avionic Area towards the Firewall without going through the baggage compartement. Does anybody have some detailed Pictures of their installation?

I plan to have the Battery on the FWD side of the Firewall (RHS) and a Inverted Oil System.

Thank you very much for your help,

Cheers, Yves

For what it's worth...

I ran all my grounds to a forest of tabs on the left side, passes through firewall with 3/8 bolt to battery / engine ground & more tabs firewall forward. Final version is spiral wrapped.

If you are not planning on mounting a smoke oil tank in the "baggage well", I tucked the rest of my wiring under the rear cabin heat scat. It interferes very little with baggage and is easy to get at if you want to add wires later. I see no reason it could not go on the pedal side but it's a little more exposed to damage and you would have to watch pedal clearance...

I did not do inverted oil, but I mounted the battery on the left side with an air / oil separator on the right.

Hope this helps a bit...

Last edited:
Thank you very much Ron this already helps me a lot. What Kind of Exhaust do you have? It seems that you have two heat muffs on the exhaust. And could you explain why you have the access on the left side ?

Thanks,
Yves

The exhaust is a Vetterman cross-over with mufflers. Heat for both seats is still not wide open at -10 deg C. Right side just blows to back from rear baggage bulkhead. Most common complaint from GIB is "turn down the heat"... Left side to pilot's feet with hardware store diffuser visible in one of previous photos. You may have to configure the right side differently to leave room for your inverted system. I suggest not drilling any holes until you have your engine and it's mount so you can bring them up to the firewall to judge spacing. It gets really crowded back there...

Left side inspection cover to get 2 hand access to fuel pump and rudder pedals without removing baggage floor or crawling under panel. Also allows access to some gear bolts for torque check at annual. Used .040 re-inforcing ring inside with cover same as skin.

Have fun...

Just a note to anyone looking at baffle seals, don't do it this way... They have now been configured differently, effectiveness to be determined when the OAT gets warm enough...

Back