What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy shipping

Hangar 1271

Well Known Member
I screwed up my canopy. Apparently, not that unusual an event. So, I have found and agreed to purchase a canopy for an RV-8 from another builder in N IL. Unfortunately, I am in Orlando FL and need to move it from there to here. The canopy is already mounted to a frame but no skirt.

I called Van's shipping department for advice but they really had little to provide. I contacted UPS who wanted an enormous amount for shipping and wouldn't create it. Actually, I was on hold for a long time and the people I eventually spoke with really sounded like they were just telephone screeners rather than knowledgeable shipping people. Not much help there either and little hope I could get to the right people if I tried again.

I estimate the canopy (just the back portion) and the frame are about 76 in x 36 in x 24 in before crating and will weigh about 75 to 100 lbs when crated. Close? So, anybody shipped something like this before? If so, what did you find was the best way to get it crated and shipped?

Thanks

Shipping

I know here in Canada some have shipped larger items such as snowblowers etc. with Greyhound considerably cheaper than conventional shippers. I had to ship my engine for work and the company used Day and Ross and they only charged $200 to ship half way across Canada. Not sure if Day and Ross gave the engine company a break due to volume but it?s worth checking.
Sorry but no suggestions on the crating.
Good luck

Truck would be cheaper. UPS will possibly damage it, then denie claim because you packaged it. Makes no difference how well you package it, it will not meet their specs.

I?ve used Yellow Freight before to ship large items. You?ll have to go to their website and setup an account, but it?s fairly easy to do. They won?t do any crating for you so the person you?re getting the canopy from will have to crate it and deliver it to the nearest Yellow Freight dock. You might also give Stewart trucking a call. They?re the ones that basically took over Toney Partain?s shipping that a lot of people used to ship their kits. When they have a truck in the area they can swing by and pick it up for you.

I would stay away from UPS at all cost. I shipped two,propellers with governors from Honduras to Florida for overhaul. UPS opened my packages and lost both governors. We had video of the governors in both boxes and yet they still insisted they did not lose them. I ended having to purchase two new governors from the proper shop. I spent untold hours on the phone with UPS to absolutely no avail. I wouldn?t even consider them a last resort.
Have you considered contacting a company that moves exotic cars? They may have something coming your way with space available.

Avoid UPS Freight!

As a frequent shipper of canopies, I can tell you that the horror stories about UPS Freight from previous posters are dead on. They were either damaging canopies or trying to bill me after already being paid, and insisting it was legit even after proof of payment. I'd recommend Freightquote. Once you have your options in front of you on their page check the price of "Estes" if it's within $100 of the cheapest, use them. Also, a box built from the the cheap underlayment ply from Lowes and 1x3s should be fine for the crate. Use slit pool noodles to support the base and make sure to tape foam rubber to the top of the canopy. Almost forgot, mark the top of the crate 'DO NOT STACK'.

Back