What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sad Concord battery

Capt

Well Known Member
Hi Guys.

I have a failing Concord RG25XC battery in my RV8 (conventional U/C) and was wondering what alternatives (Odyssey perhaps? Earthx 900?)I have for a lighter battery & the obvious modifications I need to do to fit said battery to the Std Vans battery holder?

Cheers

Last edited:
Should be simple with a pc680 style agm battery. Just make a couple of wood or foam spacer blocks to keep it located where the tie down strap misses the terminals. Worked fine in my 1st -4.

I notice the smaller Odyssey batteries have a low CCA ability compared to the Concord range?

Is your battery tray forward or aft? I had a friend make up a tray adapter for my PC-680 on a 3-D printer. Also had to make a thick shim plate for the top of the battery in order to be able to use the stock Van's tie-down bar and long bolts. I used an old PVC cutting board, cut to shape.
tJSljU6FsJrNFm9xeINK2aXH8IvupNAbshNjR-MfFEu1JDBIkVUfg4ROxUF_kO-ogtI4zgJVCFMi1xVWFipkDKtTwhz7sdfIIWzbd2YvL1ymB6SH5KvLSVwXWXxs0jURHbamXkPM35hmnIUB40pEjY2KBB3W_0C7tia8M9b4KOK4gKkLzCCiSgFyNkBgPCAVj4JqEtwKXq5XYkVYv0na6lq2kLIMQxFxtyNWSsggwjBe2BSbIAr6VjdGQdfUa2Fj4JmBe6DutTBeH9IUq1zj4GadpIpiWxNEU51B_mW42DQQVVdlCBTvXjJ8VREWv5xBslaS3NBt3twQGBDOAbUGhDr4KXC2_hfJSKTjnqsw7ET6dJlnXWEgGPfsb0lgMAd07YwlxqqezQ71cA2sxFV1QR992I8PzNQCjcgyFlluZ4qHZndcOH8oEDjBxtAehHMZn2JRko9dsifXxaAdPrd-zD5WA97RjvU_zV_-lNil69poaA17Q4QbdtEif1an_9FZNhZv5EMgyDY8JLgJz4uHbu-0LcoV10-fdv4Iyw7jmJQPSxK3kS-jeXTUmsG-CufZdsGC6Jg-YPe5ZWwZmknW0M3X4QmuySj_wSKsckn1meqMyqVW6yONnfPZaXRomPOzks92Z0Z7b1ZvWA_1Msxl3KG16e4WkF4=w432-h288-no

I changed the Concorde for an EarthX 1200 on my RV-10. Just had to add a piece of angle to shorten the battery box. Also, you need to run a cable for a warning light or to your EFIS. The -900, of course, will be smaller.

I saved 15lb weight so it may adversely affect your W & B.

I needed the weight of the battery in my RV-6 to keep CG where I wanted it.

Concord makes the AGM-1234T Chairman battery and it is the same size, weight, and spec as the RG25XC. The terminals are reversed and the battery terminal screws are a different size. The Positive and Negative terminals are reversed on the Chairman battery. The Chairman battery is 1/3 the price of the RG25XC.

IF you have enough battery cable that you can cross the terminals, the AGM-1234T can be used to replace the RG25XC. This is the outfit that had the best price / deliver schedule when I needed my battery replaced earlier this year.

Spacers work on the PC-680 battery in the battery box like others have said. The PC-680 will also save you some weight and you will only give up a little (~7) Amp-Hour capacity.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the advice/options.
Shall go see my maint organisation who look after my 8 armed with options:)
My current batt is located on the firewall, IO360 CS prop, it's always slightly nose heavy so a lighter batt might just be the go:)

Thanks for the info, I'm down under so we don't have the battery choices you guys do -:(

Back