What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rudder slip

HDDAHL

After my last flight I noticed that the rudder cables were dragging on the tailbone ribs even with my feet on both pedals. This was new and bad.Never had a bad landing, only pressure on the system has been max static rpm

I have opened up the tailbone cover, the compartment between pilot and passenger feet and have taken the baggage rear bulkhead off (partially) .so far nothing wrong except a lot of slop in the cables. I estimate about an inch and a half excess from hand tight.

I have yet to see the rear swedges.

Has anyone experienced slip in the swedges?

Doug Dahl RV-12, RV 6 builder, Former RV-9 owner, Now building a Sling2

CABLES

Hi I dont understand your problem
the cables have noyjing to hold them up so they must lay on the tail cone ribs

I would hope you are right but I never heard the noise before and I believe the cables were tighter before . Certainly tighter with feet on the pedals.

Rudder cable tension

The rudder cable tension in the RV-12 is controlled by the pilot's feet pressing on the pedals. The cables will be slack until that time. They will drape over the bulkheads when on the ground and no feet on the pedals.

I agree but I am getting a schreeching noise while on the ground, engine off, with feet pressed on the pedals and moving the pedals. This noise is the cables moving over the tailcone ribs. Are you saying that this is normal and I just didn't hear it before?

With my hands I can hold one cable and with little pull on the other there is about 1 and 1/2 inch slack.

thank you for responding and further thoughts welcome!

Press hard with both feet as you move the rudder. If there is still noise, get a grandkid to climb into the tail to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from.

The RV-12 uses plastic bushings as guides for the rudder cables (all of the RV models do actually but because the skins are predominantly thinner on the RV-12 it can resonate the noise they sometimes make, to a higher degree).

It is fairly common to hear a rubbing / screeching sound on the ground when moving the rudder pedals. You may have just noticed a change in yours because of different temperature, slight wear in the bushings (this is normal... they typically last for thousands of hours), etc.

It should still be investigated to confirm the source since we can not hear what you are hearing, so there could still be something else causing it. What for sure is not the cause, is loose (they are loose by design until you put your feet on the pedals)or stretched cables.

One thing to check for is that the cables are routed properly and go through bushings every time they pass through a bulkhead.

I've used rudder pedal return springs on my -6 & -7, they do a nice job of keeping rudder cables taught. Additionally, a slightly tighter spring on either pedal can compensate for out of trim rudder in cruise.

Many thanks to all who responded. Particular thanks to dpemmons - his video had the EXACT sound mine had and a little silicone solved it. Just as it did for him.

Great SITE!

Doug Dahl

Back