- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-15-2019, 10:55 AM

Default Is this applicable?

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...privacy-policy
Old 03-15-2019, 11:22 AM

Not really. You can request that the FAA not release your flight information to outside vendors. Your ADS-B transmissions (1090 or 978) need not be anonymous to request privacy under the policy.

You will remain identifiable by the FAA, any other governmental agency, and by anyone with a smart phone and a cheap radio dongle. For that you'll need a true anonymous mode.
Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
I leave my Mode C transponder in standby until ready to taxi, which I think leaves the GDL 82 in standby during its GPS acquisition and start up. Jim
Got to that question yesterday.

Powered up a GTX-327 transponder in STANDBY, squawk set to 1200, with the GDL-82 unpowered. After a few moments, I applied power to the GDL-82 while monitoring for signal. No ADS-B packets were transmitted with the transponder in STANDBY.

However, subsequently switching the transponder from STANDBY to ALT caused the GDL-82 (with pin 5 grounded, and supposedly anonymous) to momentarily broadcast initial "real ID" packets (true ICAO and N-number) before switching. I only noted the text traffic display. I did not save the packets to a .csv file to look at number of packets or specific content.

Perhaps it is time to hear from our friends at Garmin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepileit View Post
The GDL goes quickly anonymous, from what Dan posted. Today you would have to be at one of the 35 or so major airports that use ASDE-X on the ground and have GBT installations- The FAA's UAT towers.

Or, you would have to be receivable by a GBT anywhere else, on the ground, at power up. Slim chance on average, today.
Maybe, maybe not. An official ADS-B ground installation is not required. Consider we're recording the initial real ID data with a $20 dongle radio receiver coupled to a $15 frequency filter. Any cell tower would do.
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM

FlightAware already has coverage down to the ground at my home base, a small uncontrolled field, apparently through the PiAware network. This seems to be limited to 1090 for now, but looks like 978 could be coming soon (see newsletter linked below).

Welcome to the FlightAware ADS-B newsletter for February 2019!
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM

FBOs are in on feeding Flightaware. John Q. Public feeds flightaware. My context quoted above is first what the FAA GBT "System" sees from a UAT in Anonymous mode.

Secondary concern is the public side, for now, the public side is 1090-centric. 978 has to get to the info websites via the GBTs and active flight plans. IF Anonymous from GBTs, no one sniffing your UAT startup, no code but 1200- today, you are likely anonymous, with some caveats.

Right?
Old Today, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Secondary concern is the public side, for now, the public side is 1090-centric. 978 has to get to the info websites via the GBTs and active flight plans. IF Anonymous from GBTs, no one sniffing your UAT startup, no code but 1200- today, you are likely anonymous, with some caveats.

Right?
That seems right, with the operative phrase being "for now."

Crowd-sourced 978 monitoring in the future would perhaps not matter, unless the initial identification that is broadcast at startup could be used to label you thereafter?
Old Today, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Right?
Absolutely. Today.

https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/

https://discussions.flightaware.com/...-antenna/45405

https://flightaware.com/commercial/firehose/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carroll View Post
Crowd-sourced 978 monitoring in the future would perhaps not matter, unless the initial identification that is broadcast at startup could be used to label you thereafter?
Which appears trivial for anyone with a data feed and a vested interest. The initial packets stream real ID, and the receiver location is known, so anonymous packets arriving at the same receiver exactly one second after the ID packets would be an assumptive link with very high probability.

Last edited by DanH : Today at 07:53 AM.
Old Today, 08:11 AM

Question

Big picture, for at least Garmin UATs in line with Mode C transponders, one would hope the logic could suppress transmitting anything before the self-assigned ICAO code was generated. (Edit to add, assumes pin 5 is switched to ground at power up).

It smells like the UAT first looks for BOTH 1200 code and WAAS GPS position, but squirts your real ID for 4 seconds as it crunches the self-assignment formula of lat/long/gps time.

4 seconds is a long time in many regards.

Anyone have a 200W dummy load for an antenna selector switch?

Last edited by moosepileit : Today at 08:16 AM.
Old Today, 10:02 AM

We bought UAT units marketed to us as being anonymous, not "Switches to anonymous after a short period", or "Anonymous if no one is listening".

Anonymous was the manufacturer's representation. It's what we have a right to expect. I prefer to believe the people involved adhere to a high standard, so I'll be looking for a software update, not a workaround.