What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS-1211 and the com-3-5 bearing

Leave it to me to have trouble with my very first airplane part. On Page 6-02, there are instructions for assembling the lower hinge assembly and upper hinge assembly (VS-1211A between two VS-1210 hinge brackets, and VS-1211B between two VS-1210 hinge brackets).

I should be able to completely insert com-3-5 bearings into the large holes in VS-1211A and VS-1211B, but they don't... quite... fit. Is it okay to enlarge the holes a bit with a file so the com-3-5 bearings will fit? Thanks.

The bearings do fit into the recess. If I recall correctly, they're a fairly tight fit but not a press fit. They do need to be pushed in pretty exactly squarely, not cocked to one side. Did you prime the hinge brackets? If so, the thickness of the paint would be a problem.

I would not use a file, but maybe some fine sandpaper to remove any burrs. How about warming the brackets with hot water and putting the bearings in the freezer? If that does not work, order new parts.

Thanks guys. I have not primed yet - too cold out here and not good enough indoor ventilation. I will try the methods you mentioned.

Several of us early builders had problems with these, but if I Recall correctly Van's made a slight change to the parts to alleviate the situation. Search the old threads. How old is your Kit?

See

http://www.joesrv12.com/Builder Log/bl_06_02.htm

Leave it to me to have trouble with my very first airplane part. On Page 6-02, there are instructions for assembling the lower hinge assembly and upper hinge assembly (VS-1211A between two VS-1210 hinge brackets, and VS-1211B between two VS-1210 hinge brackets).

I should be able to completely insert com-3-5 bearings into the large holes in VS-1211A and VS-1211B, but they don't... quite... fit. Is it okay to enlarge the holes a bit with a file so the com-3-5 bearings will fit? Thanks.

Resurrecting this old thread. Was having the same issue with a Jan 2019 shipped Emp kit.

Asked Vans and they told me that since the VS-1211 are punched, the holes will need to be reamed, deburred, drilled, etc (paraphrasing here).

Mine doesn't fit at all in... the bearing doesn't want to get in. It's an interference fit.

Back