What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics Install Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I received my panel from SteinAir and I will have to say that it looks great. I have a question about the install. I have a 750 with a gam 20 stacked on top and the autopilot under it. I current have the main WH from all the avionics running in the area between the panel and sub panel and run through the big holes in the in the "braces" that separate the pilot and co-pilot side and and under the 750 and behind the autopilot. The wiring to the 750 and gma20 run out the back of the sub panel.

All the the holes and metal edges I have lined with the grommet that ACS sells for lining holes where wires run through.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/grommetedging.php?clickkey=4582

My question is: Is this OK? Or should I pull all the remote stuff out and run the WH along the bottom edge of the subpanel. With the current situation, wires would lie on top of the GTR-45 rack on the co-pilots side.

Again, maybe I am over thinking this.

I would post pictures, but I need a free place to host all my photobucket photos got squashed. Maybe I will post a video to my facebook page later tonight.

Ken: how/where are you mounting all the other boxes? The way my harnesses from SteinAir were done and the number of other boxes (GAD27, GAD29, GEA24, remote comm, remote Txp etc) led me to fabricate a couple of trays under the panel/subpanel gap and a shelf behind the glovebox opening.

I secured the harnesses under/over/around all this and protected wire bundles using cable ties and a combination of harness wrap, self sealing silicone tape, adhesive backed rubber material and edge material like you are describing. Vans provides very nice cable tie loop openings in strategic locations under the radio stack area and I did a few of my own using adhesive cable tie mounts and lightening holes in my trays. I didn’t run much through the lightening holes in the center stack because my configuration didn’t leave much room

Main focus for me was bundling wires together, protection from movement and protection from chafing.

One thing to think about is routing of static/pitot/AOA lines and also be sure to account for the canopy when it’s lowered. I had to reconfigure the air lines to accommodate this. Also think about the control cables as well. Reach out if you’d like and we can chat further.

Last edited:
My .02 is that over, under, and through are all ok as long as the wire bundle is supported and protected from edges and not pinching on anything moveable. Make sure it's also easy to access should you need to do some testing or change things later.

do you need service loops for grounds on the main grounding bus? Or for all the wires that pass through the FW? If yes for the latter, then put the service loops on which side of the FW?

Thanks

Back