What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine/Cowl Build Sequence (RV7)?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I am waiting on my engine to arrive (Vans IO360, 180HP, FI, Horizontal Induction) and trying to decide on what to do until it arrives. The engine mount is installed, gear, wheels/tires installed, and brake lines ran to the calipers. I am thinking that I could rivet the cowling hinges to the firewall/fuse. Is this a bad idea at this stage?

The instructions are a bit vague here. Does anyone have a recent builders log or photos showing installing the horizontal and vertical cowl hinges to the firewall? Looking to see how long they are cut and how to secure the bottom horizontal hinge pins.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

I'm just a little bit ahead of you. I just had my first engine start yesterday (super excited). Unfortunately those vague drawings and photos of other people's planes is all you get... Unless of course you can actually go look at someone's plane.

The firewall forward was the slowest part of the build for me, just because of the same challenges you are facing. But you'll get through it. Most of the stuff on my firewall is where it is because I said "well, thats where it fits, so thats where its going"

I dont have any real advise other than you can think about it all you want, but at some point you have to actually cut the fiberglass and fit it.

I would wait on putting the hinges on, you might change your mind and want to go with 1/4 turn fasteners. Do you have a lift ready? you are going to need one.

Back