What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gizmos RV-9 build

Gizmos

I got a quick build and just got my finish kit. I live in Burbank ca. I am also finish a Murphy rebel kit, thank God for the vans kits,, the Murphy kits parts,instruction,.......are lacking in numerous areas, just to be political correct. I sold my RV-6a. I have build the neiuport 11, Fokker D-8, kitfox5( still looking for a deal on a 912 100 hp to finish kit and I have a ragabond rw 11 that I took the project from a guy that had cancer. He wanted some one to finish the kit. I worked on it everyday until the cancer got him. I will sell it soon. It has a cont 65 hp,wings have carbonfiber leading edge( I made the mold) paint is complete. Just need to make cowl and hook up instruments. I purchased a quick build RV-7a a few weeks ago. I will sell everything except for my rv's and kit fox. Forgot, I have a stitts playmate at my va home that I just need to cover the wings. I am rebuilding a 290 for it. Just a quick background on my building .

Oops mine is the 9a

I am building the 9a and just bought the 7a quick build kit. I sold my 6a last year after 4 yrs, I love it. I love to build and hope to have my 9 flying this time next year, 7 will be a little latter lol I had both knees replaced two years ago and both shoulder done last September . I was back flying two weeks after knees were replaced. My wife insisted that I take a fellow pilot, don't know why, I was driving 7 days after surgery ! Funny part was, 2 months after surgery , my doctor said I could start driving! I told him he needed to change his restrictions, I told him about flying, I though I was going to have to call another doctor for him lol with the vans kit, they are so easy to build. I am finishing a Murphy rebel that my buddy started. Just a few words," never ever build a Murphy plane" ! If you want to every finish a plane and fly, bad plans ,parts,... They are not for me!

Panel

Well, I am still working on my 9a, had lots of things going on. I have wired everything from the front of the panel back except for antenna . I have 2 ea g3x, composite electric panel and garmin autopilot 305 so far. I would like to put a couple steam gauges as backups . I am old school, cannt tell you how many computer I have had fail! What would you suggest as back up gauges or combo gauges? I am building a vfr panel. Glad I took the eaa electrical course, it has made wiring a breeze., I hope!lol no power on yet

Old school steam guages

Keep one of the EFIS screens and put in steam airspeed, roc, and altimeter and that should get you back to earth when the electricity stops flowing,,,, and it will stop flowing one day.

I got a quick build and just got my finish kit. I live in Burbank ca. I am also finish a Murphy rebel kit, thank God for the vans kits,, the Murphy kits parts,instruction,.......are lacking in numerous areas, just to be political correct. I sold my RV-6a. I have build the neiuport 11, Fokker D-8, kitfox5( still looking for a deal on a 912 100 hp to finish kit and I have a ragabond rw 11 that I took the project from a guy that had cancer. He wanted some one to finish the kit. I worked on it everyday until the cancer got him. I will sell it soon. It has a cont 65 hp,wings have carbonfiber leading edge( I made the mold) paint is complete. Just need to make cowl and hook up instruments. I purchased a quick build RV-7a a few weeks ago. I will sell everything except for my rv's and kit fox. Forgot, I have a stitts playmate at my va home that I just need to cover the wings. I am rebuilding a 290 for it. Just a quick background on my building .

Quite an impressive line of aircrafts you built! Take couple pictures and post for us. Or email them to [email protected] I will do it for you here if you are busy building :)

All you will need is an airspeed and altimeter. Don't bother with a ROC, it is not needed and just takes up room.

My first panel had those two gauges and a Dynon D100. After I upgraded to the SkyView, I removed them and never missed them.

One thing I would recommend is adding a handheld GPS with an AirGozmo. That will give you more than enough redundancy, should your G3X's rollover and die.

Back