What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many islands has your RV been to?

No man is an island...

I flew my RV to
1. Treasure Cay, Bahamas
2. Tangier, VA
3. Grand Manan, CA
4. Nantucket, MA
5. Martha's Vineyard, MA
6. Block Island, RI
7. Catalina, CA
8. Fishers Island, NY
9. Long Island, NY
Post your islands.

Vlad,

Having been blessed to galavant around the globe for 26 years in a very cool airplane, several islands and memories come to mind across the globe, South Pacific, Med, SW Asia. However, my first island is still my favorite to this day, FA43 Dog Island FL.
Landed on the sandy turf in a straight tail C172 with my college room mate and was greeted by an old man in golf-cart with shotgun accusing us of being drug smugglers. After assuring him we were not, he gave us a grand tour. Went back in 97' in my RV4 and he was still there, gave me the tour again...After stopping through many times in my Rocket and the X it still has the same effect...

V/R
Smokey

Dog Island FL

Last edited:
Hoping that Alfio or others read this.....why not visit France?
The islands of St. Pierre & Miquelon are just a few miles off the coast of Newfoundland, if I recall.
You have to land at the big airport to clear customs, at St. Pierre, but then there's a nice 3300' paved strip at Miquelon.
24 hr Prior notice required, and if you want ATC in English!
...... so they Do try to accommodate!

We tried very hard to knock France off our list this last week. 3 Rvs did a tour of the east coast and had a guided tour and great lunch booked on St.Pierre islands. BUT...weather on Newfoundland wasnt looking good, 100LL is very scarce and we axed the plan early am. Hit Isles De La Madelaine Island and PEI etc instead. Next summer we may try again, but beware...100LL is not within several hundred miles in any direction, nor are many airports at all. Tough to plan and have reasonable options if wx isnt PERFECT. Yikes. Sad, as it sounds like a great little place and putting France in the log book would have been pretty cool.

Vlad,

Having been blessed to galavant around the globe for 26 years in a very cool airplane, several islands and memories come to mind across the globe, South Pacific, Med, SW Asia. However, my first island is still my favorite to this day, FA43 Dog Island FL.
Landed on the sandy turf in a straight tail C172 with my college room mate and was greeted by an old man in golf-cart with shotgun accusing us of being drug smugglers. After assuring him we were not, he gave us a grand tour. Went back in 97' in my RV4 and he was still there, gave me the tour again...After stopping through many times in my Rocket and the X it still has the same effect...

V/R
Smokey

Dog Island FL

Smokey I want the tour of FA43. Looks like a great spot to visit. Very jealous of your global tour I've never been farther then Eurasia during my 13 years' stint with "The Mother".

... meantime three more islands on Lake Michigan. There were others with runways but I couldn't get permission on one (South Fox I.) and runway was very rough on the other (North Fox)

28. Beaver Island, MI KSJX
29. Washington Island, WI 2P2
30. Chambers Island, WI 30WI

Flew over but not landed. South Fox 3MI2 and North Fox.

Dog I

I still haven't landed Dog I, off Florida :rolleyes:
Who else has flown to some cool islands.

:eek: No kidding Chief?! If that's true - right after Alaska in July. My RV is missing you... :D

BTW Yesterday I saw Chris H. in your seat...

No joke.... Beech 1900 captain now..... Good for Kris, I'm proud of him. :)

11260005356_684509e1ec.jpg

Final approach to St Thomas the other day.

Two more on the way to S-n-F

34. Hilton Head Island, SC
35. St. Simon Island, GA

Thank you Columbus (aka John Mastro) for discovering these :D

Trying to catch up with Rosie and Jay Pratt

36. Orcas Island WA.
37. Gravina Island AK (Ketchikan)
38. Baranoff Island AK (Sitka)

Almost caught up to Vlad!

I just updated my original post on Page 2 by adding 5 more islands to make 41 :) Rosie

37. Antigua

Caribbean_939.jpg

38. St. Barthélemy (was getting a checkout so I have no in-flight pic)

Caribbean_935.jpg

39. St. Kitts

Caribbean_936.jpg

40. St. Martin

Caribbean_937.jpg

41. St. Vincent

Caribbean_938.jpg

Last edited:
I took the construction manual with me to read while I was on Mackinaw, does that count?

Where's the picture? :D Rosie

Last edited by a moderator:
43. Somewhere in the Atlantic

Not much island hopping recently barely staying ahead of Rosie. This island/sand bar is not charted and shows up rarely only after extremely low tide with strong winds from the west. This past winter there was a day. :D

Don't try finding it. But if you find make sure you RV starter works. The island will be gone in two hours. There is very little chance you can swim to the shore.

44. Grosse Ile, MI

44. KONZ Grosse Ile, Michigan. Quick stop on an around-a-great-lake-tour without any services. Didn't stay in the Pilot House either. Next time. Need to build up some islands count before Rosie launches in 2017 :D

45. Moose Island, ME

Eastport Regional Airport is located on Moose Island, ME. Windier but cooler then in other states.

Nice downtown.

Great lobster stew.

Spicy local brew.

Canada across the bay.

They have their annual Pirate Festival around Labor Day. Airport manager would love to see some RVs there.

46. Grand Isle VT

Grand Isle also known as South Hero Island is the largest island in Lake Champlain VT. I planned that visit several weeks ago but airport owner/manager couldn't accommodate my RV at that time. They just completed a wedding setup at the taxiway. Come later he said. Here I am three weeks later :D

It's October but temperature is already around freezing. Colors are still holding.

Smooth runway a bit softer then expected. Savings on the brake pads right there.

By the departure time it started snowing. Waited couple minutes and out of the beach. Island #46 in the logbooks :D

47. Dauphin Island, Alabama

An evening hour to kill. Temperatures are in the mid 70s air is smooth and traffic light. Dauphin Island direct :)

A chopper in transition from an oil platform in the Gulf. We see each other all is good. A roll of fog is forming over the water interesting phenomenon .

Clocked the landing, deplaned for couple shots :) and up to Tom Wood's field...

While you island-hoppers are visiting these exotic locales

You can put the island in more than just your own logbook. At least if you have a legit APRS tracker, you have the licensure to help these hobbyists as well...

http://usislands.org/

(exemplar photo of nobody I know)

48. St. George Island FL F47.

That's some interesting reading there Bill. I've been to Boyd island. :)

I've also been to St. George Island in Florida. Great pavement but no access to the beach.

No access to anything at St. George, in my experience. Marked as a public use airport on the map, but when I landed there years ago a private security guard warned us we would be cited for trespassing if we stepped off the runway. He also told us we could not fly back out, as the sun had just set and operations were prohibited after sunset. Odd place......

49. Dog Island FL

Vlad,

V/R
Smokey

Dog Island FL

Smokey I made it! Not a single soul on that island. I spent close to one hour walking the beach. Pretty place but "very interesting" runway. On Rockwell indentation hardness scale I wouldn't give it much.

The island even has a nice cross wind.

Plenty of visual info.

Pristine beach. I even got a trophy.

Nobody around except a flock of fat pelicans on the other side of the lagoon.

Time is up. Back to civilization...

Adding three "soft" islands

50. Harsens

51. Kaiwah

52.Browns Bank. Wet sand hardness was checked by a Piper Cub several days prior. Not for RVs you stop you sink keep afterburner on while taxi :D

Four more

In my island count I am slowly approaching Rosie and Jay Pratt.

53. Prince Edward Island.

54. Newfoundland. The biggest and the most scenic island I've ever been to.

The mission success of reaching Terre-Neuve is attributed to my copilot and his magic carpet. Thank you Sir for joining the venture won't be possible without you :)

55. Saint Pierre. A French overseas collectivity.

56. Miquelon-Langlade. An atoll of the same group.

Only one so far...

Fantasy island. And I heard him say, "Da plane....Da Plane.." But then I awoke. :(

St. Maartin

Was in St. Maartin a week ago today on a cruise. Been there a few times but never made it to the airport. This time we did. Spent some beach time and it is everything the pictures show. Beautiful!!

Next goal is to fly in there!!!

I'm surprised you didn't land on Cape Breton island, Isles de Madeleine and Grand Manan Island while you were in eastern Canada.

I'm surprised you didn't land on Cape Breton island, Isles de Madeleine and Grand Manan Island while you were in eastern Canada.

Kevin I have been to CCN2 in 2012. Cape Breton, Anticosti, Madeleine and Fogo are left for the other day :)

Kevin I have been to CCN2 in 2012. Cape Breton, Anticosti, Madeleine and Fogo are left for the other day :)

You've obviously done your research :). I bet you know exactly how many suitable island airports there are in North America. Please tell us - how many are there?

57. Shelter Island, NY

You've obviously done your research :). I bet you know exactly how many suitable island airports there are in North America. Please tell us - how many are there?

I don't know exact count Kevin. I did my research couple years ago when I had tons of free time but I quit counting after first hundred. With this pace I estimate it could take me ten years and at least two new engines to wear to conquer them all. :D

... Extensive 2 year logistics yielded good results. Island airport #57 is a private land preserve. Picturesque views but relatively rough surface and tall grass. I was met by a local who took this picture and filled me in on airfield status. Very rare an airplane lands here. A chopper once a month never an RV :)

58. Barter Island, Alaska.

The most northern island of US with a public airport Barter Island, AK. One of the coldest islands I've ever been to. (coldest #2 is Saint Pierre )

The airport is actually on a beach of Arctic Ocean and sometimes it's flooded. That's why they are building a new runway in the middle of the island.

A lot of polar bears on and near the airport.

Passed the departure end of runway 07 there is a whale bone pile. The pile attracts a lot of polar bears and polar bears attract extreme tourism.

There are couple businesses promoting polar bear viewing. I didn't use their services and watched the bears myself.

i knew this was coming. island man fly on. :)

by the way, are you interested in visiting greenville seaplane event this weekend. ill be there thursday thru sunday at two falls me79 just below greenville. i can see about securing you a room for the night. the wx is looking superb.:roll eyes:

i knew this was coming. island man fly on. :)

by the way, are you interested in visiting greenville seaplane event this weekend. ill be there thursday thru sunday at two falls me79 just below greenville. i can see about securing you a room for the night. the wx is looking superb.:roll eyes:

Unable Greenville thanks Turbo maybe next year. Will see you in Belfast in two weeks.

59. Sarichef Island, Alaska

Shishmaref airport PASH is located on Sarichef Island in the Chukchi Sea. It's above Arctic Circle just north of the Bering Strait and five miles from the mainland. According to A/FD it should have a poor asphalt but when I arrived there the runway was repaved and looked brand new.

Sarichev%20-%201.jpg

Sarichev%20-%201%201.jpg

On the same island I spotted a herd of muskoxen. Wooly beasts formed a circled defense line. They didn't run they just couldn't understand where that whistle was coming from. :)

Shishmarev%20-%201.jpg

Shishmarev%20-%201%201.jpg

Below you can still recognize the original airstrip across the island.

Sarichev1%20-%201.jpg

Last edited:
Padre, Matagorda and Galveston

60. Padre Island. It doesn't have an airport but there are miles and miles of desolate beaches. It's an Alvord Desert kind of surface just a bit rougher and softer. :)

Padre%20Island%20-%201.jpg

Padre%20Island%20-%201%201.jpg

61. Matagorda. It's a closed private strip but you can get permission. Huge airfield with multiple runways but you have to choose wisely where to land there are loose stones and other contaminants on landing surface.

Matagorda%20Island%20-%201.jpg

Matagorda%20Island%20-%201%201.jpg

62. Galveston. A towered field on the island with plenty of hotels and mass attractions around.

Galveston%20Island%20-%201.jpg

60. Padre Island. It doesn't have an airport but there are miles and miles of desolate beaches.

In flight school, we did "engine out" instruction( all the way to touch-down) on the northern section of the desolate road where it turns to dirt.

63. Davis Island

Peter O Knight airport is near Tampa and I landed there not so long ago. I didn't know it is on an island till a VAF member pointed it to me. Here we go #63 Davis Island Florida.

Davis%20Island%20-%201.jpg

64. Vancouver Island

I don't know how I overlooked the largest island on the West Coast of North America. Landed at Campbell River airport on Vancouver Island early August 2016 on my second Alaska Tour. :D

vancouver%20island%20-%201%201.jpg

vancouver%20island%20-%201.jpg

#65 Sheep Island

I was advised to keep the location secret that's why it's Sheep Island. Wild sheep roam here. Sometimes a cohort of bush pilots land here for a hike or other activities. I was second RV landed there. And Emily's RV4 was the third one. 900 feet of a moved patch I needed only half. :)

sheep%20island%20-%201.jpg

sheep%20island%20-%201%201.jpg

sheep%20island%20-%201%202.jpg

It's a very private spot with PPR.

sheep%20island%20-%201%204.jpg

sheep%20island%20-%201%203.jpg

sheep%20island%20-%201%205.jpg

Turning short final.

sheep%20island%20-%201%206.jpg

The visiting bunch. Special thanks to John F. for organizing it.

sheep%20island%20-%201%207.jpg

Dr Jekyl's Island...

I was advised to keep the location secret that's why it's Sheep Island.
It's a very private spot with PPR.

Vlad, here's one you should definitely visit, no PPR necessary. Jekyl Island GA 09J.
Here's a couple of pics from a few years back in my HR2...

Rocket on the ramp. Great uncontrolled airport with "Red Bug" electric car rentals at the FBO.

Stayed at the Jekyl Island Club Resort, a Grand Old hotel. Take a girl, she'll love it, you will too.
http://www.jekyllclub.com/

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
I've been there Smokey but didn't stay in fancy club hotel. I want to visit the Alabama island you told me about. Hook me up with the owners please :)

Island number sixty six WV08

A Nimitz-size piece of land in the middle of Kanawha River nr Charleston WV. Scott's Island WV08.

WV08%20-%202.jpg

WV08%20-%201.jpg

I was calling the owner during last couple years and finally I got him on the phone. The man asked what kind of aircraft, what time I am planning to be there and graciously granted the landing rights.

WV08%20-%201%201.jpg

The place is cool. There are couple of open hangars with airplanes inside and the runway is very smooth.

WV08%20-%201%202.jpg

WV08%20-%201%203.jpg

There is no ferry service.

WV08%20-%201%206.jpg

I walked the whole length of the runway but didn't see anybody except a flock of geese. The runway has that nice looking air carrier jump at the end. Very cool.

WV08%20-%201%204.jpg

#67 Amaknak Island

An island once owned by Russia, one of the most populous in the Aleutian chain. I arrived there early June 2018 and spent couple days flying around. Surreal place.

That shack once belonged to Reeve Aleutian airline.

Great time was had unbelievable sights. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Islands visited in 2018

1. Baffin Island, Nunavut, Canada
2. Greenland
3. Iceland
4. Great Britain
5. Crete, Greece
6. Bahrain
7. Sri Lanka
8. Malaysia
9. Lesser Sunda, Indonesia
10. Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands
11. Efate Island, Vanuatu
12. Tutuila, American Samoa
13. Christmas Island, Kiribati
14. Big Island, Hawaii
15. Maui, Hawaii
16. Catalina Island

Last edited:
#68 Fremont Island

I haven't landed on an island for a while. Couple days ago scored another one. Fremont Island on Great Salt Lake has two backcountry airstrips a lower and upper. I landed on the upper.

Fremont_Island_-_1_(3).jpeg

Fremont_Island_-_1_(2).jpeg

Fremont_Island_-_1.jpeg

Fremont_Island_-_1_(1).jpeg

Back