What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intake valve stem

Ant CB

Hi all,

Do Lycoming engines have intake valve stem seals?

If oil is getting into the intake manifold at idle would that indicate oil getting around the intake valve (getting sucked into the intake at low power).

Worn intake valve stem seal?

Reilly,
Is there an automotive valve seal which will fit the Lycoming valve stems? I ask, because I know of another list member who was considering doing just that.
Charlie

There is... let me see if I can find the info in my files. Might take a day or two if I can locate.

Interesting, my mechanic told me to order a set of valve stem oil seals for my next annual because the intake valves have a little oil leaking past them at low power. Perhaps I got my wires crossed somewhere.

Interesting, my mechanic told me to order a set of valve stem oil seals for my next annual because the intake valves have a little oil leaking past them at low power. Perhaps I got my wires crossed somewhere.

Stock... Valve Guides Only, you could sure order them but it might be a little more detailed than just that. :)
We also ream precision fit these.

There is a Mack diesel positive seal that will work on the exhaust (.500). Intake valves are a different story, I have not yet been able to locate a positive seal for a .400 valve. Umbrella seals will work on both.

Are stem seals a standard thing to fit to these engines or is it an experimental only application?

Can I just go out and buy them from a Lycoming engine overhaul shop?

Are stem seals a standard thing to fit to these engines or is it an experimental only application?

Can I just go out and buy them from a Lycoming engine overhaul shop?

No, they are not a standard Lycoming part on engines fitted to RV's at least. Someone told me that some larger Lycomings use them but I have not seen them and can't confirm this. Your engine will just have reamed valve guides with no seals.

intake valve stem seal?

I know this thread is old but I'm wondering if this has worked out for anyone on the board?

Back