What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine overhaul stand

Robert M

Well Known Member
Searched the forum and came up empty handed. Does anyone know the bolt pattern/dimensions for the top plate of the engine rebuild stand? This will be for a Lycoming O-320 crankshaft (if that makes a difference).

Thanks

Robert,

I made my own engine stand for my IO-320. The hole for the main crank is 2-5/8". There are then six 5/8" holes at 2-3/8" OC from the center of the crank. They are evenly spaced around the flange so that's 60 degrees for each bolt hole.

100725-2.jpg

Hope that helps. If you're doing it out of metal you might want to add a 1/16" for a bit more room. I remember mine was pretty tight, but it was wood and pliable.

Robert,

I made my own engine stand for my IO-320. The hole for the main crank is 2-5/8". There are then six 5/8" holes at 2-3/8" OC from the center of the crank. They are evenly spaced around the flange so that's 60 degrees for each bolt hole.

Hope that helps. If you're doing it out of metal you might want to add a 1/16" for a bit more room. I remember mine was pretty tight, but it was wood and pliable.

Thanks for the reply niblettda - your picture and text are just zactly what I was looking for.

Aero in stock sells an engine stand for $250, works great. Russ

Thanks for your reply also Russ. I have looked at different overhaul stands from a few websites and, IMHO, I think they want too much $$$ for them. A friend of mine has offered to make me one from some scrap angle iron and such that he already has, all I have to do is get the dimensions.

I built my own also. Under $100: all new steel from a local metal supply and HD all steel castors from Harbor Freight. I went with four legs instead of three.

Back