What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

difference between Lycoming cases

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
Does anyone know the difference between the following two Lycoming cases: LW-18379 and LW-18372

They are both used on various low compression wide deck O-320s.

The LW-18372 is listed on the high compression (160 HP) wide deck O-320s.

I'm looking to learn the actual difference between the cases - is the 18372 stronger in some area? Do they use the same bolts / studs / hardware, etc?

Once it's been in for overhaul they can change just about any aspect of the case. My old thin bearing E2D is now a thick bearing A1A drilled for constant speed.

They even said they could convert it to a 360 case.

In other words, no one here would really know. I'd say start with a good wide deck and have it overhauled to meet your needs.

cases

I don't have info on those pn's but the most common difference in cases is the front main bearing configuration. Many E series use the four piece 0 235 front main bearing while a few use the two piece bearing used on most other 0 320's. As previously posted there is also the issue of thick vs thin main bearings. The easy solution is to find a case and then call Divco or one of the other companies and ask them.

I think it's about $145 to convert the 235 4 PC nose bearing to the newer 2 PC and support for constant speed.

Calling Divco or another good shop will be best.

+ 1 on Call your Vendors!
They can be a great info source, often overlooked in the GOOGLE age.
When you find out, come back here and share the result. Use a few good key words so it can be found in the search function later.
Yes Vendor services cost money, but truely good vendors can prevent expensive mistakes and provide good choices.

CASE

The LW-18379 is the 8 main case to fit the E2D and a few other models. The LW-18372 is the 6 main case with the full front main bearing if you want to run constant speed. It will fit the 320 or 360 engine models. Just like the others said CSI or any of the other case shops can convert them for a couple hundred dollars to the configuration you want. In most cases the crankcase castings are the same just the finish maching is different.

Jesse

Thanks Jesse - that is just what I was looking for. I'm gonna call Divco anyway because I'm interested in their O-ring case mod.

Back