What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-320 with Rotec TBI?

Never seen it, but it looks suspiciously like the one that was hanging on the IO-233 light sport mockup at oshkosh last year...

Rotec

Looking at this option as well. Waiting to see how Pete Howell is getting along with his installation.
It's not fuel injection.
It is a floatless slide carb, and is really very old technology. There have been a few variations of this design used on automobiles and fixed power installations over the years. Motorcycle carbs are sliders with floats, and share the metering system with floatless designs.
The Ellison throttle body is another slide carb, and Aero Vee also has one.
There are a bunch of RV's equipped with the Ellison, and you will find there users quite satisfied with the installations.
I have seen the Aero Vee on a Sonex aircraft, and the owner was very pleased with it.
There seem to be many positive points for it's use. Simple design, no float to stick, less service, lower cost, and it's basic design is well proven with many, many flight hours under it's belt.
Drawbacks seem to be the need for a primer for easier start, as the slide carb has no accelerator pump, and an increased tendency for icing, so a hefty carb heat rig is in order. Cable routing needs a little extra planning. They are also sensitive to specific airbox or plenum installations. As far as I can see, none of those concerns are at all insurmountable for installation in our aircraft. Vans has an airbox for the Ellison installation that I'd be willing to bet would be a head start for the Rotec installation.
Bet your bottom dollar Pete will have it all figured out real soon!!

Regards,
Chris

next month

This month has proven to be very busy with work (that is good), but has kept me from the install.

I am working on the annual, need to take a few trips, and then we will try to Git-r-dun.

I'll keep you all posted.

POSA Carb!

I'm looking at this option also. My 0-320 has a POSA carb on it now with a 1.5psi regulator. This looks like the Rotec but has some age on it. Has anyone ran a POSA?

Thanks
Finley

I've got two of the TBI 4-5's, and am putting one on my -6, other one is already on my rocket project. Will install it by Thanksgiving, too much flying right now to have the airplane down.

Rotec TBI on Lycoming O-320

Please let us know how it goes!

I love the simple is better philosophy, but I also follow the "Cessna Safe" model. If Cessna would do it, so will I.

Keeping the engine simple will help get my plane in the air faster.

BUT I am thinking of adding a Turbo Encabulator. The specs sound pretty impressive.:eek:

Check out:

http://www.break.com/index/understanding-the-turbo-encabulator.html

I've got two of the TBI 4-5's, and am putting one on my -6, other one is already on my rocket project. Will install it by Thanksgiving, too much flying right now to have the airplane down.

Thanx Gary!

I remember Robert when I first started thinking about an RV. Pretty impressive guy. (as I remember it, you are pretty impressive too.)

Since I'm about to start on my tanks, maybe I should talk to them about return fuel lines.

Is there any penalty to adding a return fuel line fitting on the tank, but then later not using it?

For now, simple ignition (mags) and a simple fuel system are on my list. But hey! It's not done yet!

Dkb

Here is a new outfit with a few flying aircraft.

http://www.flyefii.com/

Lots of potential.

AeroCarb and RoTec?

I noticed that AeroVee/AeroConversions has an AeroCarb that is large enough for the O-320 (anyone done this?)

But they call it a carburetor, while Rotec is a Throttle body injector.

In automotive applications, the TBI relies on fuel pressure, and not venturi effect to get air/fuel mixture into the intake manifold.

Is the Rotec truly a throttle body injector? or the same as AeroCarb (what looks like a variable venturi carb.)

Dkb
:confused:

They are the same.
All slide type carbs work with the same basic metering system, and have no float bowls. Go to Ellison's website for some light shedding.
www.ellison-fluid-systems.com

Regards,
Chris

No, the Rotec is a single point fuel injection system. It uses the same principle as ordinary mechanical fuel injection. A pressure difference is used to meter the amount of fuel needed, thus it is independent of fuel pressure. In a carburettor the negative pressure draws the fuel out.

No, the Rotec is a single point fuel injection system. It uses the same principle as ordinary mechanical fuel injection. A pressure difference is used to meter the amount of fuel needed, thus it is independent of fuel pressure. In a carburettor the negative pressure draws the fuel out.

This is 100% correct, the Rotec is mechanical fuel injection. Unlike the Posa, Aero carb and other slide carbs it does not rely on venturi, but rather the variable metering of fuel pressure to press fuel through the 50 tiny .010" jets. This creates an ultra fine atomization of the fuel.

Mixture is adjusted in flight by the Pilot having the ability to adjust the angle of attack of the spray nozzle.

The Rotec is fully metered so any fluctuations in fuel supply are compensated by the metering device which is controlled via the conditions with in the TBI.

Not "fuel injection"

Sorry SvingenB and Palmac the Rotec is not mechanical fuel injection. I posted an explanation on a previous post. But to verify the explanation here is an excerpt from Rotec?s web site:

The Rotec TBI-40, unlike the others is not a carburetor, it is in fact a mechanical fuel injection system, that self meters fuel supply by use of a cleverly calibrated negative pressure fuel regulator. This in effect continuously compensates for any variations in fuel pressure and or power requirement. The other slide types do not do this! When the holes are rotated to directly face the incoming air stream the engine is at full lean, when the holes are rotated so they are at right angles to the air flow the TBI is at full rich. It is such a smooth and consistent action.

Obviously their definition and the technical definition of fuel injection are different. Since the system uses a negative head fuel pressure regulator fuel is basically sucked out of the holes on the spray bar if the holes are located perpendicular to air flow then ?carbureted? into the engine. This is due the lower pressure at the holes as the air flows over the holes vs. the static pressure at the entrance to the throttle body (and they are not even referencing the fuel pressure regulator to the air inlet, only in the engine compartment). If this were truly fuel injection the fuel would discharge out the spray bar under pressure above the ambient static pressure. Not so here.

Don

Back