What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to install a Lycoming Oil Filter Adapter (77852)?

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I figured I'd knock out a quick task tonight by swapping over my oil screen to an oil filter adatper. I thought I had it figured out but my primary reference, the Lycoming parts manual, is a bit ambigous when it comes to my engine (O-320 B2B). By the way, I swear I've posted this question on this forum before but for the life of me, I can't find it so sorry if I'm repeating myself.

So, I'll be removing the LI 20 Oil Filter Screen Housing and all its related parts and replace it with the LI 25 and its related parts:

accessorycase.jpg

The first mystery is that the Oil Filter Screen Housing that came on my engine only has a single threaded hole which isn't even referenced in the parts manual. I think that's no big deal just odd.

Should I remove the LI 1 and 2 Spring and Plunger since I will be running a Vernatherm? I thought this was the case but if you look at the engines which use the Oil Filter adapter, you'll see that the spring and plunger ARE on the list of parts used:

partslist.jpg

BUT, there is a single asterisk next to the spring and plunger that states "Not required when thermostatic bypass valve is used." So, I don't use them?

Another issue is the gasket that I have for the Oil Filter Adatper. It doesn't match what is shown on the parts list or the pattern on the Accessory Case:

cimg2895.jpg

cimg2897.jpg

It looks like I have the incorrect gasket which if used, would block critical oil passages. Is this true? Or, perhaps this is a new improved version. You can see that, at least on the case side, all the holes would not be blocked by the gasket.

Any thoughts?

Kelly,

The vernatherm and temp probe should be moved over to your adapter.

Here is a picture of mine installed with tape over the hole for the vernatherm.

More on the gasket...

Hopefully, Rocket Bob J. will answer the first question, correct gasket. I just installed mine (it looked like yours, but engine is not running yet) and noted another factor to consider. My guess is that it's a relief valve (see the red circle) and the screw that was holding mine in place was about ready to fall out. We cleared the threads and replaced the screw with one that fit and securely held the plate and spring in place.

oilfilteradapter1.jpg

Yes, that circled area contains what I think is the relief valve which replaces the spring and plunger.

It all seems logical to remove the spring and plunger because it is redundant but like I said, the parts list isn't 100% clear.

There is a SB out there that apparently explains all this. I need to search for it.

Thanks

I just got off the phone with Mattituck.

The gasket is fine. That's what they put on their engines.

Yes, you remove the spring and plunger just like I thought.

Thanks again!!

This is one...

...case were the correct Lycoming documents would help.

In this case it is a Special Service Publication SSP 885 and deals specifically with replacing the oil screen with a filter.

"Engine Mounted Oil Filter Kits & Replacement Filters"

I e-mailed you a copy.

I did this on my Tiger, and it is an easy change, and is considered minor on a certified engine - just reference SSP 885 if your engine basis is certified for Phase 1 testing.

Yep that's the correct gasket. I have the bypass plunger and spring installed on my 540 since I have a spin-on adapter and have removed the vernatherm...controlling oil temps via a ball valve and bowden cable.

I am getting ready to install a Lycoming straight oil filter adapter onto my O-320e2d and came across this thread. Is there any news or new developments on whether or not the plunger and spring should be removed and then the cap and bolt reinstalled??

I am getting ready to install a Lycoming straight oil filter adapter onto my O-320e2d and came across this thread. Is there any news or new developments on whether or not the plunger and spring should be removed and then the cap and bolt reinstalled??

PM me your email address and I'll send you what Gil sent me 4 years ago.

Hopefully, Rocket Bob J. will answer the first question, correct gasket. I just installed mine (it looked like yours, but engine is not running yet) and noted another factor to consider. My guess is that it's a relief valve (see the red circle) and the screw that was holding mine in place was about ready to fall out. We cleared the threads and replaced the screw with one that fit and securely held the plate and spring in place.

oilfilteradapter1.jpg

The circled area in the oil filter adaptor is a oil filter bypass valve, the spring and plunger in the accessory case is a oil cooler bypass(unloading valve) designed to prevent cold, high oil pressure from damaging the oil cooler it should be removed when ever a vernitherm is used.

Bobby

any pireps on the Casper labs or Donaldson adapters?

I hope to add the filter some day...seems at $140 the Donaldson straight adaptor would be my choice...that or Casper labs at $330?

I have an 0-320 with conical mount, so it doesn't look like the angle adaptor will work.
Anyone done this? Do I need the straight adaptor ...is it the only option?

I believe this is a link to the SSB

http://www.7ts0.com/manuals/lycoming/EMOFK.pdf

Latest version?

...case were the correct Lycoming documents would help.

In this case it is a Special Service Publication SSP 885 and deals specifically with replacing the oil screen with a filter.

"Engine Mounted Oil Filter Kits & Replacement Filters"

I e-mailed you a copy.

I did this on my Tiger, and it is an easy change, and is considered minor on a certified engine - just reference SSP 885 if your engine basis is certified for Phase 1 testing.

Hopefully Gil sent you the latest version of that document. It's SSP 885-2 [revision 2 circa February 2003] This document can be found online at

http://dc679.4shared.com/doc/kyAvNEU0/preview.html

That said, I can provide a higher quality version of that document to anyone who needs it. Just email or PM me for a copy.

Charlie
PS Since the web link above no longer works, if you want a copy of SSP 885-2 send me a private message with your email address.

Last edited:
Back