What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lousy readability of Apple devices in cockpit

chasers03

When I try to use my Ipad or Iphone in my dual G3X Touch cockpit on a sunny day I find their screen readability to be completely useless especially once off the ground. (I realize that being 75 doesn't help) I have tried anti-reflecting films and of course making sure the brightness is to the maximum.

The only high brightness (1300 nits vs the Touch's 1100) device I have found is the IFly GPS 740 https://www.iflygps.com/SYSTEMS/iFly740.aspx but it does not Connext to the Garmin's nor does it allow using Foreflight or Garmin Pilot within the device. Only IFly's GPS program https://www.iflygps.com/FEATURES.aspx can be used on the unit.

Anyone got an alternative portable device which is readable in sunlight and plays well with Garmin??

Android

I have been using a Nexus 7 with Garmin Pilot for a couple of years. It was the brightest screen I could find. It is mostly visible in an Rv9A cockpit with a Kroger sun shade. I would look at the Samsung Galaxy S2 8.0 if I was going to replace mine.

Steve, I'm only two years younger than you and had exactly the same problem. (Sucks getting old) I had had an ipad and it was worthless under my bubble canopy. (RV 8) I now have a Nexus 9, and I can read that fine when flying in bright sunlight. I'm using Garmin Pilot and a GDL 39 to blue tooth the GPS nav data and weather data to the 9. I mentioned I've got an 8, because the 9 is big, maybe 6 by 9 inches. I see you've got a 7, so I don't guess you'd have a problem. I also see you're in S Carolina. I'm in Atlanta---not that far from you. I could come by you, pop you in the back seat, and you can decide for yourself before you buy. (Couldn't do it though for maybe 2 weeks)

They're about $500 bux (Vlad spelling:D) new. I originally had bought a used one on Amazon, but I had to send it back--didn't work good.

Let me know. Oh----and 225 pounds is my back seat CG limit:D

+1 on the Nexus; I recently started using a Nexus 7 with Flightpln Go and visibility is no problem whatsoever in my 6. I would venture to say that the screen is noticeably brighter than my panel mount KMD 150.

FWIW; after using iPad(s) in the cockpit for the last 5yrs I finally decided to try the Samsung Galaxy S2 8 (SM-T10) as recommended by others on VAF and happened to be on sale at Best Buys for $249.00. I flew with it yesterday on a super bright Florida day and all I can say is "WOW"!

It is a huge improvement in cockpit visibility over the iPad. I didn't have to cover the tablet with my hand to see things, even with my old eyes, and FltPlanGo worked perfectly. A big plus is that it fit in the same RAM mount I already have for my iPad mini so I didn't have to buy any extra "stuff" to use it in my airplane. So I guess I will be selling my iPad mini and staying with the Samsung.
:cool:

Last edited:
+2 on Nexus 7

Bought used Nexus 7 after comparing my iPad mini to my hanger neighbor's Nexus 7. Much better and the recond. and used can be had for $ 100. Have to get used to Android but no big deal.

The new IPad Pro has a much brighter screen then the older models. A friend has one and said it works great in a RV. They are not cheap however!

The measured Peak Brightness for the iPad Pro 9.7 is 511 cd/m2 (nits), which is not only more than 20 percent brighter than the iPad Air 2 and the other current iPads, but it is the brightest full size production Tablet that we have tested.
G

Last edited:
iPad air2 and later have a different screen are are significantly easier to read in full sun.

Correct! Make sure your bright is set up to brightest! Also, are you using any kind of eyeglasses or sunglasses? Polarized are the worst but i have found that even when using regular auto darkening eye glasses makes it hard to view in an shadeless open cockpit like the RV8

iPad air2 and later have a different screen are are significantly easier to read in full sun.

I have an Ipad Air2 running Foreflight. I find no readability issues even in full sunlight. I do leave it on my lap, which may help. I am not 75, but old enough that my eyes, or everything for that matter, don't work like they used to.

Larry

good advice for us all!

black eh? ...and I hear it's quite slimming as well....

your heiny just slips into the cockpit like it's buttered.

( okay, a little thread drift here) :)

a black hat, a la Johnny Cash, should also be de rigeur.

...or just stick to cloudy days?

Ditch the Ipad and get a Garmin Aera 660

I concur, I have an IPAD Mini 4 strapped to my leg during cross country flights and it is barely adequate compared to the Garmin Aera 660 I have mounted in the panel. The 660 is really bright even in direct sunlight, drives my autopilot, sends frequency data to the Garmin GTR 200 radio, provides audio terrain and obstacle alerts and with the GDL 39 3D provides weather/traffic and 3D vision.

This thing blows away the IPAD in my opinion.

So no one has tried the IFLY gps 740 with its 1300 nits screen brightness?

I have the 740 in my -8. Purchased it after looking at what else was out there and talking to the vendor/designer at Oshkosh last summer. It is the brightest portable GPS on the market and the vendor support has been nothing but spectacular.

Bought a iFly740 at Sun-n-Fun this year and absolutely love it. I panel mounted it and have No problem reading it under the canopy of my RV7.

iFly also has an iPad app that has the same functionality. You can try it for free for 2 weeks.

The iFly740 also talks to the TruTrack for GPS coupled guidance.

Thank you guys for the prompt reply and testimony. I am now hoping that Ifly will get permission to communicate with the Garmin G3X like ForeFlight does. I guess the 30 day trial of the 740 is my next step?!

-1 on the iPhone 6+ (essentially unreadable, even with an add-on anti glare glass.) However, the Nexus 7 works great, excepting that ForeFlight doesn't make an Android version, and that Garmin Pilot for Android is not as sophisticated (lacks some features) as Garmin Pilot for iOS.

Apple does offer a 14 day return policy, so you *could* purchase the latest edition of the iPads mentioned earlier and test it out for yourself.

when is someone going to come up with an app to crank up the brighness on the iPad? :confused::mad:
P1010440.jpg

5-years + iPad in the cockpit

I am on my 2nd iPad and have been using an iPad with CHEAP anti-glare screen protector for over 5-years. I do not have the issue that others are reporting and find the iPad screen / display adequate for use in an RV-6 with sliding canopy.

Without an anti-glare screen protector, I am disappointed with the brightness but with the anti-glare screen protector I find the display usable.

My ipad has been across the country and back a dozen times in my RV8. I've never had an issue with brightness. Not once...ever. Same with the Iphones (currently on 6plus). Are you guys sure you have the screen turned all the way up in the ipad's settings menu AND in foreflight?

My eyes are 48 years old.

Last edited:
I'm betting its all younger guys who have no problem seeing the ipads, and older guys who do. Everybody---state your age. This might very well answer whether to get an ipad or a Nexus.:rolleyes:

'Settings'

I'm with ColoRv.

My iPad and iPhone work fine.
Go into 'Settings', then 'Display & Brightness', turn 'Auto-Brightness' OFF and adjust manually.

69 plus year old eyeball.

59 years old with no problem seeing the iPad in the cockpit.

Thanks for calling me Young!

Ageless

Still just a kid! :rolleyes:

Mommy, Mommy, when I grow up I want to be a pilot!
Sorry son, you can't do both. :eek:

Tablet-phablet is still an appliance and not a certified navigational product. Doesn't matter which brand and what app. But if you absolutely need to see something you definitely will. Your age or eyesight won't matter :D

I have awesome low light vision (and catlike reflexes to go along with it,) maybe that's why I find the iPhone 6+ display hard to read (without straining) in bright sunlight (I also rarely wear sunglasses when flying because I perceive less visual acuity while wearing them, probably due to pupillary dilation) .... But since this is a subjective discussion rather than scientifically controlled, I'd wager what one person finds acceptable, another would call unreadable. My threshold is if I have to make accommodations to read the display, it is unreadable. And then there is the Apple fanboy factor (sorry, had to go there.. :) ) Full disclosure: I am an Apple user, and don't particularly care for Android. Anyway, even Apple does not claim their displays are sunlight readable.

There's a Tool for this!

As was pointed out, there is some subjectivity in the evaluation of readability of devices in the cockpit. You can beat your head against the wall with Subjective comments - or you can use the Cooper Harper Rating Scale to help you figure out how good/bad your problem really is. Decide on the task ("can I read this under a bubble canopy on a Sunny Day, with sun glasses", or "Can I read this while in IMC", or whatever.....), then run through the flow chart and see where you fall.

fig66.jpg

You DO have to take into account a significant factor that isn't listed, which is "is there any chance in Hades that I can actually affect a design change?" When runnign through this - that question will affect your overall score. :)

And of course, if you rate everything a "10", no one will ever pay any attention to you.....

Cooper Harper Rating of Ipad using Foreflight - RV-8

Rating of 3 (Fair)

Using the Cooper Harper Rating Scale to subjectively rate the readability of my Ipad Mini (full brightness) with Foreflight (full brightness) while flying in full sun. Aircraft is an RV-8 equipped with a Todds tinted slider canopy.

My results:

Rating of 3 (Fair) = Some mildly unpleasant deficiency. Minimal pilot compensation required for desired performance.

Specifically, difficulty focusing requiring unpleasant squinting to visually discern what is on the screen of the Ipad while using Foreflight. Causal factor may be exasperated by pilots self diagnosed Presbyopia.

Age may not be the primary variant. I may be older than anyone who has posted on this thread and I have used the ipad since it first came out. The first ones were hard to see mostly because of the glare. The other major factor is how/where you have it mounted. I found using it as a knee board was not satisfactory for me. When I mounted it to the canopy deck with a RamMount, it was many, many times better. I recently upgraded to the iPad Pro 9.7 and it is significantly better than the 4th Gen iPad it replaced. I used anti glare film on the old one.
I borrowed a friend's iPad for this picture; I normally use only one iPad.
2a4y7wz.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Back