What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

From old yellow UHMW tape to beautiful "like new" flaps

Arlen

Well Known Member
Here was the start of removing the old stuff (BTW, a PITA). The Eraser Pad helped: http://www.amazon.com/AES-Industrie...stries+4"+Smart+Eraser+Pad+with+Drill+Adaptor
2hrn6sg.jpg

And the finished product:
316qf5f.jpg

Last edited:
Link is incomplete and doesn't work. :-(

Did you replace the old UHMV tape with the same stuff or a different type of tape that won't yellow?

I replaced the Teflon tape twice. The last time using stainless steel tape. I don't think I will have to do again.

My TC suggested I put the UHMW tape on the underside of the rear spar & skin instead of the top surface of the flap. I didn't get quite as smooth an installation of the tape, but it should last longer now it isn't so exposed to the world as it would otherwise be.

I've thought about that, too, but consider what happens with it on the underside of the top wing skin. The underside surface gets protected, but grit sticking to the tape or to the top of the flap in that area will get rubbed across the paint every time the flap is moved. Isn't that what the tape is supposed to protect?

Charlie

Flap tape

I fiinally got around to doing this, used my finger nails, heat gun, acetone, and the eraser wheel.
The eraser wheel did not work for me, it actually scraped some paint, the heat gun worked best, be careful not to overheat......top layer comes off pretty easy, the next two layers took time, heat a section work up a corner, peel back, slow yes but worked.....then 3 M Adhesive remover @ an Auto Parts store, spray a one foot section at a time wipe clean with rag or paper towel.
I took one flap off which did make it easier, to clean up and put new tape under trailing edge of wing but it was also more time consuming getting the flap back on.
Just depends how you want to spend your time, Looks SO MUCH better

Last edited:
Flaps Tape

I need to do this job first thing in the spring once I get the airplane out for the new flying season..

I have a roll I bought from Vans..is there something better I should use??

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

I used black. It matches the wing walk and rubber intersection. After 700 hours (9 years) it still looks good. You can see what the clear did after the same amount of time.
where I sourced it has been lost to time but I do remember I had to order a lot more than I needed and it wasn't cheap. Unfortunately, I loaned my surplus to someone and it also has been lost!
2mfhgy8.jpg

I'm painting my plane now and planning on installing this tape. How long does it usually last on a hangared airplane? Are we talking a year or two, or like 10 years?

Thanks

I'm painting my plane now and planning on installing this tape. How long does it usually last on a hangared airplane? Are we talking a year or two, or like 10 years?

Thanks

The clear starts to discolor quickly. However, it will do its job for a long time. As mentioned, mine has been on for 9 years and shows no sign of wearing through.

I used white auto-wrap vynl. You can get a 2x5 ft piece on ebay or amazon pretty cheaply. I was able to do my flap wear area and my gear leg fairings. with just that piece.

I need to do this job first thing in the spring once I get the airplane out for the new flying season..

I have a roll I bought from Vans..is there something better I should use??

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Hi Bruno, Unless they have changed products recently the Van's stuff yellows in a few years. The newer products shown here are promoted as better...

Flaps Tape

That's what I thought...I'll look at the 3M tape for cars, I had it on my car for 7 years now and it still look as new..

Thanks Bruce

Bruno

49clipper

Finally finished my new flap tape also. Took a little over 1.5 hours per flap to remove the original UHMD tape with the flaps on the bench. Eraser did almost nothing, but 3M tape/glue remover worked the best. Tough job. New tape from Vince at Flyboys worked great.

Flap tape

It works fine, or you can use Paint Protective Film, which comes in different thickness. I recommend putting it under the wing rather than on the flap, looks much better. If you put it on the flap make sure your hands are REALLY clean or you will transfer the dirt onto the tape, plus fingerprints etc.
Work with the heat gun, careful not to over do it.....you get the hang after you do it awhile.
Good luck

This thread seems to reincarnate itself every 3 weeks under a new title.

You can get various products to "protect" the flaps, or any other painted surface, but can you say that your product will last 10 years, go on easily, remove easily with NO residue, and is cheap too?

Support your local RVers! Here's the link to Blake's paint protection site:

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/Paint-Protection-Film-p/2301.htm

It cuts with scissors, never yellows or cracks, and will conform to compound curves too!

The 3M paint protection film is great. Very durable. My only problem was fingerprints. I was unable to get it on without air pockets that required me to use my fingers to fix it. In hindsight, I should have used gloves, but I did it on the ramp and didn't have them at the time. I leave my flaps up, so the fingerprints aren't seen by anybody.

I ordered a 6" X 6' piece on ebay and sliced it in half length-wise. It wasn't too expensive.

This thread seems to reincarnate itself every 3 weeks under a new title.

You can get various products to "protect" the flaps, or any other painted surface, but can you say that your product will last 10 years, go on easily, remove easily with NO residue, and is cheap too?

Support your local RVers! Here's the link to Blake's paint protection site:

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/Paint-Protection-Film-p/2301.htm

It cuts with scissors, never yellows or cracks, and will conform to compound curves too!

Are you selling the 6 mil or the 12 mil film?

The cure for that is to put it on wet. I think it calls for an IPA/water solution, but I've seen factory guys use a drop of baby shampoo in a bottle of water also.

Bubbles will bake out in the sunlight and heat. Or really big ones can be popped with a pin or Xacto knife.

Hope this helps someone out there.

But as you say, if you touch a dry finger to the dry adhesive, it leaves a permanent print.

The 3M paint protection film is great. Very durable. My only problem was fingerprints. I was unable to get it on without air pockets that required me to use my fingers to fix it. In hindsight, I should have used gloves, but I did it on the ramp and didn't have them at the time. I leave my flaps up, so the fingerprints aren't seen by anybody.

I ordered a 6" X 6' piece on ebay and sliced it in half length-wise. It wasn't too expensive.

Tape

where do you get the SS tape from the clear on my plane gets stuff under the edges same as factory stuff on my car.
Thanks Bob

Tape on inside of top skin- 8 yrs and looks great

For what it is worth - the guy who built my RV put the tape on the inside of the top skin . I do not have a picture but I can tell you that the top of the flap looks brand new , no issues and no wear on the paint after 8 years.

Cheers, Andrew

RV6A CFFST
Viperjet Mk2 N899VJ

I painted mine with Teflon paint

Not to stray from the tape solutions, but i painted my flap L/Es and under surface of the skin with light grey Teflon epoxy..its what is used on Boeing flap L/Es and is super tough, and doesnt fade. I applied with a foam roller, and after 6 years in service, there isnt a mark on it.

Big thumbs up to Flyboys here.

My UHMW tape was ugly from the moment I put it on, which was particularly bad as I have a polished airplane.

It was really interesting to take it off, though because it separates into three pieces. The topic piece -- UHMW, I presume -- come off easily, then you're left with two layers.

I think the polished crowd has better options here because you can use a heat gun to pull it off and it's not a big hairy deal and Goo Gone works just great to get the residual gunk off.

Total time to replace each flap was about an hour, probably. 55 minutes of that was removal.

One question: Is this material the same material as what I put on my prop last year after getting it repainted (after running the prop through rain)? I used the 3M prop tape. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ap/prop_tape/3mproptape2.php

Back