What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vendor, delivery or impulse buy at sun and fun

Hi, saw this quote in an old tread when I searched on the topic:

"You only pay FL sales tax on things that you take delivery on at the show. On avionics you won't be taking delivery at the show."

I will probably be able to visit Sun and Fun this year and it is perfect timing for me to buy avionics now. So is the above still true or can I expect to be able to for example buy/pay and take delivery of a G3X system with accessories at the show?

If not, can I order and pay in advance and if so to what vendors and have it delivered on site during Sun and Fun??

There are very few vendors that stock product at SnF or OSH. Mostly its small stuff like headsets, less expensive instruments, and tools.

You can make arrangements with vendors like SteinAir, Aerotronics, Gulf/Pacific Coast to bring prepaid items to the show to ease delivery. Aircraft Spruce has quite a bit at the shows as well.

It you truly have already decided on a G3X solution and aren't planning on comparison shopping at the show my recommendation would be to call/email SteinAir and Aerotronics to see what kind of deal you can get. If they ship it to you direct, you won't pay tax anyways. There is no real advantage to picking up avionics at the show.

As Bob said, few vendors take product like this to the show. And yes, if you take delivery in FL you pay sales tax. If you place an order for them to ship to you, then you can pay at the show and there?s is no FL sales tax.

Hi, saw this quote in an old tread when I searched on the topic:

"You only pay FL sales tax on things that you take delivery on at the show. On avionics you won't be taking delivery at the show."

I will probably be able to visit Sun and Fun this year and it is perfect timing for me to buy avionics now. So is the above still true or can I expect to be able to for example buy/pay and take delivery of a G3X system with accessories at the show?

If not, can I order and pay in advance and if so to what vendors and have it delivered on site during Sun and Fun??

The simple rule of thumb in Florida is if the company operates physically in Florida, regardless if the sale is generated from that location, you will pay Florida sales tax if you take possession of that item anywhere in Florida.

The gray area is really with temporary operations, like the booths at SnF. The same company has charged me sales tax one year and then did not charge me the next. Wont mention the company name, but they do not have any operations in Florida. Both times I bought headsets.

I plan on Sun and Fun this year, in fact have booked my flight and room.
I plan on doing some serious hands on shopping, meaning, I have not seen the G3X or the Dynon displays and want to SEE and TOUCH them. Will Stien be there in SNF? And hope to see the system3.

The simple rule of thumb in Florida is if the company operates physically in Florida, regardless if the sale is generated from that location, you will pay Florida sales tax if you take possession of that item anywhere in Florida.

The gray area is really with temporary operations, like the booths at SnF. The same company has charged me sales tax one year and then did not charge me the next. Wont mention the company name, but they do not have any operations in Florida. Both times I bought headsets.

Most trade shows, including SNF and Oshkosh, require that you charge sales tax on any sales at the show that deliver at the show. Any company that doesn?t is breaking FL law. That doesn?t mean that all do, just that all should.

Correct me if I am wrong but no sales tax in the US is higher than the Swedish 25%.... ;) Then again, worst case I get both :(

You shouldn't pay any sales tax if you ship direct to Sweden. Unfortunately, I can't offer advice on how to minimize your local sales tax.

If you pick the equipment up in the US, you'll pay the sales tax of the state of where you pick up the equipment.

Some of the highest combined state and local sales taxes:

?Chicago, Illinois and Long Beach, California: 10.25 percent.
?Birmingham and Montgomery, Alabama and Baton Rouge and New Orleans, Louisiana: 10 percent.
?Seattle and Tacoma, Washington: 9.6 percent.

I think lots of folks order from places like ACS (Spruce) and pick up at the show to avoid shipping fees (a free service they provide), are you saying all those folks elect to pick up at the show so they can pay sales tax?

I would call ACS and ask them.

Back