What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Washington

Arlington: (KAWO) Taildraggers

Nice little restaurant on the field at Arlington. Lots of aviation stuff going on including P51 and Spitfire flybys, Aerobatic training, Helicopters, Glider Operations, Ultralight Operations and Gaggles of RV's right outside the window.

Port Townsend (AKA Jefferson County Intl) (0S9) Spruce Goose

Terrific little restaurant and pie shop with A/C parking directly in front. Located in the North East corner of the Olympic Penninsula, and well known for it's prompt, courteous and friendly service.

Last edited:
Bowerman Field, Hoquiam (KHQM)

This nice strip is right on the coast, located on a peninsula sticking out into Grays Harbor. Plenty of runway, a nice airport restaurant, and a great view of the coastline if the weather is good. Can be foggy and/or have a low marine layer in the mornings.

Tacoma Narrows (TIW) Suspension Bridge

Nice restaurant right next to the tower with A/C parking right out front. When departing, ask nicely for a pattern that takes you over the bridge, sometimes they will allow that.

Felts Field Spokane

The Skyway Cafe located on Felts Field (KSFF) is known for it's good home cooking. Fly in and park in front of the cafe located at the base of the tower.
Lots of RV's and Biplanes on the field.

Dan Adams
RV8 N742DA

Bremerton Airport (KPWT)

Its a very popular spot for pilots out of Boeing Field. Its got great halibut and chips also! PWT is a busy practice area for pilots with often a lot of people in the pattern.

Roche Harbor on San Juan Island..

This is only open in the summer but you can walk from what is a challenging runway to land on down to the marina where there is a great restaurant.

Packwood

Airport is really close to town, 5 minute walk. City is to the south of Mt. Rainier, great view.

Elma (4W8)

A cute little small town strip between Olympia and the coast. Nice caf? right on the field with a surprising variety on the menu -- and friendly people. (Don't worry about the nuclear power plant next door, it was never opened.:^)

Prosser, WA S40

Prosser has The Barn Inn and Restaurant. Park on the North side of the runway in the paved ramp and walk thru the gate and across the street. Tough to miss, It's a big red barn. has a nice restaurant and lodging.

HOWEVER, thier is also a LOT of wineries and breweries with tasting rooms within 1/4 mile walk. One in particular called Whitstran Brewing company we tried today (it opened on wednesday) has Excellent food. They also have a nice selection of beer that is very good, did I mention the food....Adress is 1427 wine country road Prosser, wa 99350. Phone 509-786-4922.

Pierce Co Thun Field (KPLU), Puyallup

Nice restaurant on the field (Hangar Inn). Beautiful view of Mt Rainier. Home of EAA Chapter 326 which has 60+ people building/flying RVs.

Other Businesses:
Spencers - Everything aviation - great store for builders!!!!!!
NW Propeller - Good prop shop
Atkins Rotary - everything rotary!
Wings West - good governor shop

Friday Harbor - Ernie's for Lunch

Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands is a top destination. You can walk into the charming town itself of just have lunch at Ernie's right at the airport.
P1040566_edited-1-L.jpg

The small Ernie's Cafe is a popular spot for locals and fly-ins. Named after Earnest Gann (Fate is the Hunter) who lived on the island.
P1040571-L.jpg

Great food here, for a light lunch try soup and a popup. The popup is a flaky and buttery bread pastry, mostly hollow inside, and is really good.
P1040572-L.jpg

Spruce Goose still there and better than ever!

Terrific little restaurant and pie shop with A/C parking directly in front. Located in the North East corner of the Olympic Penninsula, and well known for it's prompt, courteous and friendly service.

World famous(?) pie and fish & chips is good too - have both, at Jefco 0S9, Port Townsend
CTT_0694-L.jpg

Last edited:
Pies and Customs

I'll add a two thumbs up for the pie at Port Townsend. :)

I'll also add the same for the speed and quality of the Customs entry for Port Townsend.

Unfortunately I can't do the same for Customs Entry at Friday Harbor - we were warned in Victoria about Friday Harbor customs, and they were correct...:(

I hope it's improved since then, but they did not like coming from the busy harbor to process planes at the airport.

mystery aircraft.....

ok you nor'westers....I was at Arlington about 1979/80, and saw what I can only desribe as a U-2 recon type, but turboprop powered. It had about a 7 blade prop, and an exhaust that ran all down the right side of the fuselage, above the mid-wing, with perforations to let the exhaust out.
about 60-80 foot wingspan...memory fading.

.....anyone? Can't find evidence of it anywhere......

when it flew over at 100', you heard something like a breeze in the trees.....nuthin else! :eek:

ok you nor'westers....I was at Arlington about 1979/80, and saw what I can only desribe as a U-2 recon type, but turboprop powered. It had about a 7 blade prop, and an exhaust that ran all down the right side of the fuselage, above the mid-wing, with perforations to let the exhaust out.
about 60-80 foot wingspan...memory fading.

.....anyone? Can't find evidence of it anywhere......

when it flew over at 100', you heard something like a breeze in the trees.....nuthin else! :eek:

Sure sounds like a Lockheed YO-3 built for Vietnam from a 2-32 glider.

The Boeing Museum of Flight had one in their restoration facility on Paine Field.

My picture from 2012 -

yo-3_zps1de76548.jpg

If you are a homebuilder, the restoration facility out in Everett is worth a trip, and is usually missed by most Museum of Flight visitors.

http://www.museumofflight.org/restoration-center

There is also one at my end of the US in the Pima Air Museum in Tucson - not my pic -

YO-3A_collection-hung_9452.jpg

Last edited:
Lockheed YO-3A, Quiet Star
I agree with Gil, a serious visit to Boeing's restoration facility should be on your list.
I attended a Sport Air Workshop there a couple of years ago, you are encouraged to wander thru the facility during breaks.
Afterwards, go across the airport to Paul Allen's fighter Heritage Museum.
Talk about a 3 for 1 day!

Last edited:
Back