What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lunch at 10.5k'

Tanya

Well Known Member
Ahh, finally lunch is being assembled as we have reached top of climb at 10.5k'. Of course, the prep actually started the day before.

We've perfected the process over the past few years. First step, of course, is to find a Subway the day before returning home. Next step is to order a fairly 'dry' sandwich: no condiments on it (ask for single serve packets), no juicy veggies such as tomatoes/pickles/peppers (although, I love pickles so I ask for them to be packed in a small container to be added in flight), spinach tends to hold less water than lettuce, and ask for extra napkins. The final touch, before putting it in the fridge (or in a pinch placed on top of ice in a trash can) unwrap the sandwich and put a couple napkins between the yummies and the bread. At TOC, remove your treasure, take out the napkins, add any moist items you diligently set aside, and marvel at your planning.

Note the trash bag attached to the canopy latch.
IMG_2425.JPG

Subway knows how to roll....
IMG_2428.JPG

Yum again. Mouth watering...
IMG_2430.JPG

Standard XC operation for us.
IMG_2431.JPG

Happy time!
IMG_2433.JPG

small album link

What, no bags of potato chips to add a little excitement at altitude? :D

For the uninitiated, when the air expands and the bag bursts, you get to pick up all the pieces after figuring out it wasn't your aircraft that lost a part.

Well, at least Scoot has a chance to fly 22C when you serve the food. Great idea on trash bag location :D

I don't understand why, but that is always the best tasting sandwich. She has the setup down pat.

Nice! Sometimes the first bite can be challenging when you forgot to move your microphone. (I've done that more than once. :D)

Great idea

Thanks for sharing a great idea, along with well thought out steps for the best results. Trash holder is ideal.
Mind if I come up some weekend to take a look at your 8 project?
Take care,

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A. N942PT

Dues paid.

O2

Not to switch gears from lunch, but at what altitude are you'll putting on the O2 ?

Just curious since you are wearing it here but the altitude didn't sound too high? Thanks!

I will be interested in hearing Tanya's answer as well but i will typically use O2 at 9k and above. Especially anything over about an hour and a half. Much lower if same flight at night. Much fresher feeling at the end of the days flight. Also seems like I will always be at least that altitude if the flight is that length. The RV-9 loves altitude and so do I.

Last edited:
... better than the airlines!
WAY better! I haven't been in one of those big shipping tubes since the RV was completed over 7yrs ago and have absolutely no intent of doing so. If I can't get there by RV, I don't need to go.

How close was that mayo packet to exploding?
I was wondering the same thing. They are pretty tough. We've had them to about 16k' I think.

Where were your homemade cookies?
All left behind with the OSH consumers. I think she only made about four dozen this trip. All gone in the first 36hrs of OSH.

Not to switch gears from lunch, but at what altitude are you'll putting on the O2 ?

Just curious since you are wearing it here but the altitude didn't sound too high? Thanks!
So, my name is Scott, and I'm addicted to OXYGEN! I bet you are too. I love the stuff. I enjoy landing all bright eyed and bushy tailed. The Mountain High pulse demand unit is my best friend on any XC. We use it all the time. Tanya reaches over (behind me) and opens the bottle any time that we're going to be above about 8k for hours. By 10k', I'm sucking on that thing at "Night 5k". I'm not afraid to use it at all. We transfill ourselves. Note that I said nothing of Tanya's use. She is good to go for a foot race at 13k'. Really, I sat on a rock as she raced Seismo (pre iron man!) to the top of a snow capped mountain once. Crazy.

Heck, while I'm at it, there are other useful things that we do on long XC. OSH to Texas hardly counts anymore. The Koger sun shade gets pulled to the side to block the sun just right. You can pull that thing way over before it falls off the rails. Then stick a printed paper approach plate that you didn't need up there for the other person to fill the gap. If the sun in baking the back of your neck, you can drop it off the back rail to hang down behind you. Stuff we learned from Rosie.

Also, we fly with a few very light linen rags cut into about 2-3' squares. We call them "Bobby rags" as Bobby gave us a whole stack for the shop. They are perfect for the random sun shade, or anything that you might need a cool rag for. Watson (dog / only child / beagle hound) wears one as a cape, slightly dampened, in the summer heat when coming home from "Grandma Camp" after OSH. Somewhat related here are the clothes pins that you'll find clipped to the bottom instrument panel angle behind the panel. One on each side. Perfect for making something stay where you want it...

Last edited:
We found some of these at the Oshkosh Target:
PeanutButter4-1_Openbox.jpg

They had a pretty good variety, and no refrigeration required. My 10 year old nephew thought we should pick a couple up for the return trip. They turned out to be a great insurance policy after the 2+ hour delay Thursday morning.

Paige

Mind if I come up some weekend to take a look at your 8 project?

Always happy to show off the project. Just be sure to give me a little notice so I can vacuum.

Didn't realize Bendix-King made an add-on for the sun shade.

How in the world did you pick that out in the picture?

Nice! Sometimes the first bite can be challenging when you forgot to move your microphone. (I've done that more than once. :D)

...And had to wash the mic cover a few times, too.

O2 for me is around 10K for all the reasons Scott and Mark listed. It isn't necessary, but it just makes for a happier all-around arrival.

Forgot to mention, if you like your sandwich warmed up, 10 minutes on the glare shield on a clear day takes care of it.

In Flight Meals, GA Version

I love in flight meals...in my plane!

A few things that I've found:

1. As others have said...be sure to move the mic before taking that first bite. Mic foam doesn't taste very good.

2. Make sure the significant-other remembered to get napkins with the sandwiches...before opening that Pepsi at eleven-five!

3. It really sux getting a hand-off with a mouth full of food.

4. I love Cheetos...but not the orange fingerprints all over the interior.

5. A thermos of coffee and my girlfriend's homemade banana bread is wonderful on early morning trips.

6. A "Venti" cup of Starbucks stays in place really well on the floor in front of the spar carry through on the right side of the stick during takeoff in my -8.

7. The Pepsi from #2 leaves weird streaks on the fuselage belly.

8. Breakfast (or lunch) is wonderful while enjoying a view of the Western Sierras.

9. I like sandwiches from our local mom & pop Italian Deli better than Subway!

Skylor
RV-8

Flying food follies

I love in flight meals...in my plane!

9. I like sandwiches from our local mom & pop Italian Deli better than Subway!

Skylor
RV-8

+1......having enjoyed many high altitude meals.....IMHO Subway would only fall into the "Emergency Food Ration Catagory" :)

PnP Cap

In addition to your SubWay sandwich and the oxygen, Tanya, I really like the Pilots N Paws Cap!! :D

No Buttons on the Black Hats

I saw the cap too, and ordered a couple of them and a shirt, from their official website last week! :D

Love it, and thanks for supporting the organization.

Apparently, a non-aviator does the ordering and didn't know about buttons being a nuisance. A few pilots passed on the info. The black ones are a new batch, and the advice was heeded so they are buttonless.

Of course, for RV builders removing a single rivet to dislodge the dreaded button doesn't take too long.

Last edited:
Lunch

I can't believe your eating Subway! All Processed meats and so bad for you! That is like "Campbells Soup is good for you" which they got sued over. It's actually really bad for you! Off the charts high in sodium and so is Subway! Don't you love these kinds of posts!

Any time you guys are in Cincinnati I would love to cook for you! And take my posting lightly………….I'm the worst!

It's that guy that can't fly formation! See you in Pine Bluff! It's all good!

Dave

What, no bags of potato chips to add a little excitement at altitude? :D

For the uninitiated, when the air expands and the bag bursts, you get to pick up all the pieces after figuring out it wasn't your aircraft that lost a part.

Try this Bob,
My wife keeps a flip top water bottle with her all the time. Flown with it often. We were up high one day and she flipped the nozzle open for a sip and the low air pressure caused it to do the "Old Faithfull" and completely douse the inside of the canopy and us (somewhat). After getting over the shock, we laughed. A bit unexpected but obvious in hindsight.

She unscrews the cap first to equalize pressure now. :)

Try this Bob,
My wife keeps a flip top water bottle with her all the time. Flown with it often. We were up high one day and she flipped the nozzle open for a sip and the low air pressure caused it to do the "Old Faithfull" and completely douse the inside of the canopy and us (somewhat). After getting over the shock, we laughed. A bit unexpected but obvious in hindsight.

She unscrews the cap first to equalize pressure now. :)

Ha, yeah I use one of those too. Mine has a bite valve for flow. At altitude I just barely bite the valve and I have a mouth full of water in a second.

Back