What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for Advice with the RV-10 QB Kit

I have completed the empennage build and just took delivery of the QB Wings and QB Fuselage. It's a great day; the hangar is very full of new parts. I am going through each Section of the instructions trying to assess exactly what has been completed as part of the QB and what is left to be done. I'm also trying to avoid doing anything out of order that might set a trap for later work. Sections 13 - 17 look very complete. Can anyone share their notes or experience on tasks that needed to be completed in these Sections?
Section 13. Main Spar
Section 14. Wing Ribs
Section 15. Rear Spar
Section 16. Top Wing Skins
Section 17. Outboard Leading Edge

Section 18. Fuel Tank. The Fuel Tanks appear complete except for fuel level sender installation and pressure testing.

Section 19. Stall Warning System. I will have an AOA sensor as part of the Garmin G3X; is it worth having the stall warning system too or should I not install it?

Section 20. Bottom Wing Skins. Should I delay riveting the outboard bottom skins until after after the aileron actuation system installation is complete?

Sections 21 & 22. Ailerons and Flaps. Looking to see if anything is left to be done with the Flaps and Ailerons (it's a little more difficult since they are on back-order).

Section 23 Aileron Actuation. Sections 23 appears to be the first of these Sections that needs doing in its entirety.

My apologies for the long post, but any guidance from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I have completed the empennage build and just took delivery of the QB Wings and QB Fuselage. It's a great day; the hangar is very full of new parts. I am going through each Section of the instructions trying to assess exactly what has been completed as part of the QB and what is left to be done. I'm also trying to avoid doing anything out of order that might set a trap for later work. Sections 13 - 17 look very complete. Can anyone share their notes or experience on tasks that needed to be completed in these Sections?
Section 13. Main Spar
Section 14. Wing Ribs
Section 15. Rear Spar

Section 18. Fuel Tank. The Fuel Tanks appear complete except for fuel level sender installation and pressure testing.

Section 19. Stall Warning System. I will have an AOA sensor as part of the Garmin G3X; is it worth having the stall warning system too or should I not install it?

Section 20. Bottom Wing Skins. Should I delay riveting the outboard bottom skins until after after the aileron actuation system installation is complete?

Sections 21 & 22. Ailerons and Flaps. Looking to see if anything is left to be done with the Flaps and Ailerons (it's a little more difficult since they are on back-order).

Section 23 Aileron Actuation. Sections 23 appears to be the first of these Sections that needs doing in its entirety.

My apologies for the long post, but any guidance from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Electric AOA is not functioning when master is off.
I have had a force landing experience last year, with Garminx G3x, no mechanical stall warning. I was above rocky mountain, and luckily made a successful landing. but while looking for a place to "land" as i reached 100ft agl, when nothing is flat around, its very hard to keep your mind to air speed as well. I almost stalled.
install a mechanical stall warning !! its safety

Here's a write up I did on mine;

http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-rv-10-quickbuild-details-and.html

My opinion on the mechanical stall system differs. I installed mine but really wish I hadn't. It was just a bit of a burden and doesn't offer anything of value above what the AOA has. At least in my case if my Master switch or if I have a loss of power issue I would lose the 'mechanical' stall alert since it runs off the battery as well.

Electric AOA is not functioning when master is off.
I have had a force landing experience last year, with Garminx G3x, no mechanical stall warning. I was above rocky mountain, and luckily made a successful landing. but while looking for a place to "land" as i reached 100ft agl, when nothing is flat around, its very hard to keep your mind to air speed as well. I almost stalled.
install a mechanical stall warning !! its safety

While actuation is mechanical, the warning tone and or light is electric and won’t help with the master off.

Section 13. Main Spar
Section 14. Wing Ribs
Section 15. Rear Spar

Thanks,

Follow the instructions. They provide order to the work. Bottom skin after aileron actuation system and wiring. Instructions typically tell you what is skipped with QB.

Follow all the instructions. It is, unfortunately, necessary to check every single item in the instructions, even if they were supposedly done in the QB. Various QBs have had different things not done, or done incorrectly (my fuel tanks were secured with bolts that were too long, with extra washers to make up the difference). You want to know that everything is up to par.
As to the stall warning/AOA: I did both. The AOA needs in-flight calibration, so, on the first take-off, it was not operational. So I had the mechanical one working. Now that the AOA is working, I may remove the mechanical tab, but so far I haven?t gotten around to it.

stall warning

I am pretty sure that I will be removing the stall warning; wish I hadn't installed it in the first place.

G3X system with AOA and IBBS backup...

Just went through this myself. I've had the wings in storage for a couple years, kinda dusty...

I went through the sections as mentioned, but mostly paid close attention to the front page where it lists what is being done. Then went through page by page looking to make sure the rivet type was correct. Since a lot of the wings are already sealed, you have to trust that the factory did it correct. This is why I used the front page of the section.

That said I did find that on Section 18, 2 bearings, VA-146 were not installed. Rivet type and orientation were correct. Overall pretty good job, but I haven't tested the tanks yet.

Fuel senders, Pitot, Stall warning need to be done as well.

Back