What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back up battery offline

Cyclone

I've had an occasional 'caution low backup battery' annunciation come on but after doing the BU Battery check last week (passed), it does'nt seem to want to recharge. Airplane is new, 35 hours, voltage at cruise ramps up to 14.2 and amps run 1-2. After a couple of hours flying I'm still getting alternating low voltage or offline warnings. Do I keep flying or is it going to need a charger?
BU battery shows around 10.25 volts.

Can you tap into the wires to the BU battery and see what the voltage is while the engine is running? Then see what happens with the voltage after shutdown.

Don't have RV12, what kind of battery is it? A 12V lead-acid with a bad cell will be 10 something volts after it has sat for a bit.

Can you buy the Skyview BU battery connector so you can skip buying the original Skyview BU battery and just make your own?

Cyclone
I needed to replace my 5 year old BU battery earlier this year. When I contacted Dynon support they said you can only expect 5-6 years out of the BU battery.
Also the original BU I received with my Skyview in 2011 wouldn?t take a charge when I started flying in 2013, and Dynon replaced it under warranty.
I didn?t feel comfortable trying to rebuild it so the best replacement price I found was from Gulf Coast Avionics, but shopping around.

Back