What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recoilless rivet gun

amkellogg

I'm New Here
Has anyone had any experience using a recoilless rivet gun? Are they substantially less tiring on the hands? I have a hand condition that may be aggrevated by tools that vibrate and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to VAF

Hey Alan, welcome to the good ship VAF.

Good to have you aboard.

No info about recoil less gun, sorry.

But, I'll bet there will be folks out there who can help.

I don't think I would use one for thin skins like an RV. They are designed for heavy metal (not the music). It is difficult to get a "feel" for what you are doing with one. Unless you have physical reason, i'd stick with a traditional gun. For many years, I worked sheetmetal and most of the guys, including myself, though we had them available, always used traditional guns.

Recoilless Rivet Guns

Thanks to all for the replies, and thank you Mike for the warm welcome. Someday in the not too distant future I hope to be starting my RV-7. Just need to overcome some temporary financial "challenges" as they say.

I have a 3X recoiless rivet gun. I love it. I've also had a lot of comments on how ripple free my skins are.

Guy

My curiosity is piqued..

...as to how they can even make a gun recoil-less?? I mean, for every action there is a reaction, no?

Dan, .....?

Thanks,

...as to how they can even make a gun recoil-less?? I mean, for every action there is a reaction, no?

Dan, .....?

Thanks,

They're not totally recoilless, but I believe they operate by moving a separate internal piston opposite the forward end.

Guy

They are really nice. Just difficult to go back and forth. You need to get a "feel" for the recoiless. It's totally different than the traditional. They are ergonomically very effective. After completing my fuselage skins and thousands of clecos later, anyone got a "recoiless cleco plier".

what about the other hand?

OK gotta ask.. if your using a recoiless rivet gun in one hand.... then what about the other hand holding the bucking bar? To they have a recoiless bucking bar? Or maybe it doesn't matter since your "bucking" buddy is getting all the abuse? Don't tell him the gun is recoiless! Even better... complain about how much more the gun hurts than the bucking bar! :rolleyes:

ATLAS COPCO 04P-02 (Recoilless)

Does anyone have experience with this gun. I bought one a while ago and now trying to use it bit realize the gun jumps around and I don't see how anyone could set a rivet with this. What am I doing wrong? Gun is brand new!

Thanks

Back