What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl pin getting tighter?

shempferd

I have a 6a I've been flying for 14 years/500+ hrs. The last time I removed my cowling, my lower cowl, left side vertical pin was extremely tight. I had to use a vise grip and hammer to pound it up and out. After installing, I flew a 2 hour cross country and couldnt believe what I found. My left intersection cowl pin (holds top to bottom) was visible. Somehow the pin slid in without catching the lower half. This pin is usually very easy to install and I don't remember having any trouble with it when I previously installed it. I have not been able to duplicate it.

I have found in aviation, when something changes, find out why. Don't ignore it. I so far have been unable to find anything wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why the pin would be so tight? Has anyone had the pins go in without connecting the halves? I have seldom used any lube. They're usually pretty oilly anyway and generally go in just fine.

Thanks
Shemp

oil

Just as a aside.
Every time I removed my pins I wiped them with a lubed cloth. It helped.
Yes I have found if the pins don't start right they don't do right.

One reason I switched to 1/4 turn Mil-Spec on my new James Cowl.

You might want to check the alignment of the piano hinge elements to see if some of them have become out of alignment with the others. You may have bumped them and have become mis-aligned enough to create some resistance.

Without your top/bottom attached, slide the hinge pin through each hinge to detect any mis-alignment.
Next, you could try again it on the bench, while top/bottom attached.

Last edited:
Back