What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet Set Retaining Springs Interchangable?

boxorox

I'm New Here
Hi,

I'm a long time lurker first time poster and as many have said before me the information here is simply amazing!

With that said, i'm still a ways of from starting a build but have the tool box kit and have starting to gather tools here and there. Currently i've picked up two 3x rivet guns on eBay, one a Jiffy 300 and the other a Chicago Pneumatic. I'm curious if the rivet set retaining springs are inter changeable or specific to the gun.

Thanks!
Joe

Just try, if they fit, I would say yes.
Some rivet set comes with their own retaining springs (like my swivel flat set) which are somewhat cumbersome to remove. Hence the spring follow the set in that case.

The only function of the spring is to stop it from falling out of the gun when it gets moved around.

In some cases I have selected to not use the retainer to allow better clearance and avoid damage.

Ya interchangeable

I just use whatever spring works. I only changed springs when i couldnt get the quick change springs next to a rib

I should have mentioned that neither of the guns included retaining springs but i'll go ahead and pick one up and see how it does!

Thanks!

I have a couple of long sets that do not even accommodate retaining springs - just have to hang on or tape it in place temporarily. Just be sure to use good trigger discipline if you don't have a spring on.

You'll put your eye out kid!

e035240f8f80e1517e61b4427df3f7a5_youll-shoot-your-eye-out-kid-youll-shoot-your-eye-out-kid-meme_565-320.jpeg

Gulp!

I did take the EAA RV Course @KFDK so while new, not that new ;)

Thanks all!

Back