What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Teen RV-12 Build Project - Brighton, MI (45G)

Pilot_jb

I'm New Here
Hello everyone,

Now that my first official post on the board was a plea for help regarding fuselage instructions, my second post is a formal introduction of myself and the RV-12 build project that my son (Collin, 13) and I have become heavily involved with since August.

My name is Jason Burton and I am a Private Pilot and one of the lead mentors for a teen RV-12 build project that is taking place at Brighton Airport (45G), in Brighton, MI.

We have approximately 12 boys ages 13-17 who work on the project twice per week with between 3 and 9 adult mentors. Admittedly, this is my first time building and airplane, but I grew up in the Tool & Die trade, and my career involves engineering and manufacturing of tools for stamping, molds, medical, etc..., so I consider myself to be mechanically inclined, and love working with my hands. Most of our mentors, including myself, are members of EAA Chapter 384, which is based at 45G, and are either experienced pilots, builders, or both. In face, one of our main sponsors completed a beautiful RV-6A several years ago, which he still owns.

We have completed the empennage and wing kits (including the lights options), and are currently working on the fuselage kit. Everything is coming along quite well, but we are unsure if we will make Oshkosh in 2016...we're certainly trying.

We were lucky enough to have an article written about our project on our local paper, which then was picked up by several other news outlets nationally.
http://experience.usatoday.com/stor.../10/04/teens-build-airplane-scratch/73347956/

Our website can be found here:
https://sites.google.com/site/brightonbuildaplane/home

...and we have a Flickr page that is updated regularly here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/137118601@N05/albums

Anyway, I'm sure that I'll be posting more questions as we move along. The entire group would really appreciate it if you followed along and encouraged kids as I try to keep the board updated as often as I can.

Thanks for reading!

Congratulations on your project!

The photos aren't displaying on your website, though :)

Thanks! The boys are doing a great job, although it's tough to keep their attention when the parts need to be deburred.

We ran out of room on Google Sites, but I just found a way to get more pictures on the site using bandwidth from another location. Hopefully it'll be updated soon. However, I do update the pictures in the Flickr account after each session.

Thanks for the post Jason.

It is great to see that another RV-12 Teen Build is under way.
I worked with my son on one of the first (fall 2009). The blog which covers that first project and the three that have follwed behind it (one of which is underway right now) is at www.teenflight.blogspot.com.

Off the top of my head I know of about 15 different RV-12 Teen Build projects.
It's very fun to hear about another....

Congratulations

Jason,

My hat is off to you, the members of your EAA Chapter, the supportive parents, and especially to your dedicated team of mentors. You're touching the lives of these student-builders (and mentors) at many, many levels; but a few are high level reasoning skills, self confidence, the rewards of a job well done, and individual empowerment. Job well done and keep up the great work!

If there's anything our organization can do that you feel might benefit your program, please don't hesitate to ask. We're on your team and stand ready to assist when called upon. Cell: 713. 823. 9509.

Last edited:
Thanks! The boys are doing a great job, although it's tough to keep their attention when the parts need to be deburred.

Interesting that you have only boys. At the McKinney, TX Eagles Nest project we have about 30 students and 3 out of the top 5 builders are girls.

Because of having so many builders, we opted to start on the fuselage since it can be separated into several individual projects.. We have the center section almost done.

Last edited:
Interesting that you have only boys. At the McKinney, TX Eagles Nest project we have about 30 students and 3 out of the top 5 builders are girls.

Because of having so many builders, we opted to start on the fuselage since it can be separated into several individual projects.. We have the center section almost done.

We do have (had?) at least one girl on Brighton's Build-A-Plane project, but I haven't seen her in a while. She recently either soloed or got her ticket (I forget which:eek:) so she may be out flying instead of building.:cool:

Back