What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starting a "sitting" engine

ezetom

Hi gents,

Im going to resurect an engine that has been sitting (in a heated dry hanger) for 5 years, Ive borescoped everything as well as I can, and cant find any corrosion. what Id like to do though, is fill the engine "full" of oil to lubricate the cam and followers before I start it (I will drain the oil back to normal level before starting)

Anyway,, does anyone have any idea how much oil it might take? :)

Cheers

Tom

It would depend on the engine. I'd guess 5 gallons, for a 4 cylinder. But if you put two gallons in it and rotated it upside down, I bet you'd immerse the cam...

Well the engine is already bolted to the airframe :)

Is an IO 360.

Im gonna buy a 5 gallon pail at walmart, and see where where I wind up...

Oil

Waste of time. You will never get the cam oiled with the engine upright. Walmart oil is a REALLY bad idea. If the engine has never been run Phillips M 20W50 is recommended for break in.

Remove one set of spark plugs, turn off the fuel valve, mixture idle cut off, fire extinguisher nearby. Crank the engine until you have oil pressure. Reinstall plugs and start the engine. 1000-1200 rpm as soon as the engine will accelerate smoothly. A few seconds at that power setting will lube the cam. Then you can do a normal ground run schedule if its a newly overhauled engine.
Some recommend camguard added to the oil.

Beware of an air pocket

You may have trouble getting it full through the oil filler tube. Patience and some fore and aft rocking can help. Pulling a forward rocker arm cover until oil starts to drain out there can expel some air from the front of the engine (especially if the tail is on the ground). You could also put a hose on the breather fitting, extend it upwards, and add some more oil there once it's up to the top of the filler neck.

Cheers, David
RV-6A A&P

Cooler

I have never had any problems getting oil pressure on 0 320 without filling the cooler. The Lycoming document does not specifically address cam lubrication but the 1000 r/m mentioned seems to be a good minimum r/m for splash lubrication of the cam.

I always pull a set of plugs and spin it by hand until my arm gets tired, then crank until I get oil pressure. Then I install plugs and light the fire.

Oil

If its a tail dragger pick to tail up and level engine.Also you could get an electric oil pump and plumb into a port and oil everthing.
Bob

Another good practice is to remove all the valve covers to ensure you are getting oil flow down the push tubes to the rocker arms.

+ one for Jesse!

I always pull a set of plugs and spin it by hand until my arm gets tired, then crank until I get oil pressure. Then I install plugs and light the fire.

We have brought many old engines back to life over the years. Jesse is on the right track here. Just fined a way to prime the oil passages and pump with a pressure pot or even an oil can. Pull the hose or oil line off where the oil sending unit screws in and turn it over as Jesse said tell you are good and sore.
Don't be afraid to turn it over by hand a good number of times, then do the same with the starter as well, tell you have some since that oil is flowing through and out all the passages. You should see oil pressure indicated on the gage when you start turning it over with the starter, that when you know to light the fire as Jesse put it. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Waste of time. You will never get the cam oiled with the engine upright. Walmart oil is a REALLY bad idea. If the engine has never been run Phillips M 20W50 is recommended for break in.

Remove one set of spark plugs, turn off the fuel valve, mixture idle cut off, fire extinguisher nearby. Crank the engine until you have oil pressure. Reinstall plugs and start the engine. 1000-1200 rpm as soon as the engine will accelerate smoothly. A few seconds at that power setting will lube the cam. Then you can do a normal ground run schedule if its a newly overhauled engine.
Some recommend camguard added to the oil.

Correctamundo! There is no vent in the top of the case communicating to the accessory case to allow trapped air to escape. Fill it you want, the oil will not reach the cam unless you flip it over. Some 6 cylinders have a fill port in the top of the case, that would be an exception.
TimAndres

My Opinion

Everybody here is right....I think...I am no expert.
Lets face it, our engines are expensive and we want to protect them.
Sometimes things happen and they sit for awhile and were not preserved correctly, time flies.
It seems the main culprit to dry starts is the cam. I personally know of 2 resurrections without major efforts to oil things and a few months later they were making metal from the cam. I am sure it happens more than we know because of the time between restarts and a maintenance issue.
The cam lifter assembly is a steel to steel interface that is kind of spring or pressure loaded for a metal to metal rubbing effect. Most other important engine parts are a close fit that oil is pumped to and lubricate the contact.
The cam lobe / lifter is splash lubed or spray lubed or both depending on engine model. We have been told the first few seconds of a cold or dry start is the hardest on the engine because of lack of oil pressure and flow until the pressure builds and / or the splashing occurs to lube stuff up. I have even heard 1000rpms is better than 600 for this splashing to occur even though faster is more rubbing. This all is occurring in mere seconds at start up. We also know engine builders apply a special mixture of oil and STP or a store bought product to apply to metal surfaces to keep them from rusting and aide in protecting metal parts the initial startup process. Therefore we should or want to protect the cam after the engine had not run for some period of time against the possibility of rust being on the cam/lifter interface and acting like rubbing compound wearing away the smooth surface of the lobe and allowing for accelerated wear of a critical part of the engine. A part that requires a complete disassembly of the FWF-engine if bad!
How to oil it?.......many ways.
Turn engine upside down. If not installed on the plane. I have seen Lycoming's stored on a tire upside down for this very reason.
Spin the prop with a set of plugs removed until your arm hurts, as Jessie says! This is splash lubing the lobes and you do it a lot to be sure they are coated well and it helps build some oil pressure of fill the oil galleries so the oil squirts quicker on the start up.
Some of us with tail draggers can even lift the tail high enough to put a nose down angle on the engine and fill the crankcase up. Yes, it takes approx. 5 gallons. It may create an air bubble at the top but it surely gets the oil closer to the cam and personally I put a hose on the crankcase vent and align vertical and hold a rag over the top as I burp the sump as the pistons move back and forth. This is a 2 person job for sure. I only rotate the prop a dozen or so times like Jessie and feel like all is coated. Then once the tail is safely back on the floor and oil level back to 8qts., I spin the engine with the starter (plugs still out) until I see oil pressure on the gauge, usually 10-12psi. Then it is ready to take out and run.
Yes, I do this every 6 months or so during extended periods(just oil not start)
Yes, I use cheap oil...then use good oil for the start.
Yes, it leaks out intake and exhaust valves, etc. Makes a mess.
Yes, you have to clean the plugs, maybe twice.
Yes, this lifting process is all but impossible on an A model. But filling to coat the internals and get the oil closer to the cam can not hurt.
Personally I feel really good about this process and that I am doing all I can to protect the insides of the engine. I may be over doing it, time will tell.
Most of you guys know all this but posting for archives and newbies!
And I will repeat my opening line. I am not an expert!

Back