What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming Finger Sleeve FOD

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Anyone care to take a guess at what this item I found in my oil finger sleeve might be? I found it during a recent oil change. It is non-ferrous as the magnet didn't care about it. It is somewhat pliable - perhaps almost plastic in nature. Not rubber from what I can tell. The long length edges are clean and neatly cut, so I guess that would be a manufactured edge. The shorter ends appear to be torn.

20151012_212544722_iOS_zpsbeeu09jr.jpg

20151012_212605767_iOS_zps3uuntvca.jpg

20151012_212644088_iOS_zpsbv0dgfay.jpg

20151012_212647357_iOS_zpslazuwuem.jpg

It entered via oil dipstick tube

My guess would be an edge of an oil bottle or a funnel if it's plastic like. Take a closer look at your oil dipstick seal might be a slice of a well cooked rubber :)

It looks to me like a piece of black wire insulation that might have been cut off a piece of wire while the end was being stripped. Perhaps fell into an open oil fill port or open oil line somewhere during the build?

Or could it be one of the little plastic fingers from the cap of an oil bottle? That would be a more likely route into the sump.

I'm with Greg on this one, looks like one of those little oil bottle cap tamper seal "retainer fingers".

I think Vlad nailed it - I had been used an oil with black bottles and I think the dimensions are about right. It must be one of the safety fingers from the cap and it must have fallen into the sump during a fill.

Of course I sat there trying to think of where this possibly could have come from and couldn't picture a single plastic component that would cause debris like this. I never thought about the oil bottles.

Back