What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filling Oxygen tank - DIN adapter needed

Tim Lewis

Well Known Member
I want to get my portable oxygen tank (with what I believe is a CGA 540 connector) filled at the local scuba store, but they don't have an adapter to connect to my tank. The scuba store's output uses a DIN connector, shown here:

DIN%20filler%20small.jpg

Here's the tank I want to attach to:

Tank%202%20small.jpg

I think I need a DIN female to CGA 540 female adapter, but have not had any luck finding one. I'd appreciate any insight regarding what adapter I need, and possible sources of adapters.

Last edited:
Oxy

Does your scuba store sell oxy? I thought they just used compressed air. Medical or welding oxy work. I use welding oxy and had the welding shop make up the adapter or you can buy on line. The welding or medical suppliers won't generally fill aviation tanks.

Problem solved

"The Scuba Diver Store" in Milwaukee, WI assembled an adapter for me. CGA 540 nipple (part Global 4521 1oxC) to Scuba port Converter Block (part Global 4502 1ox). Cost including shipping was $83.15.

XclR7y0N9u9gh0DN8uD-s4sq_VQx-UtNu8-y-luBskQJfhKdR-7E3Jl8D8F40_bwxX78nu__HQnU9v2t2nKn1WIQ8nQBPav4AaMI_eYakTFJRFkSE-H9svRQAk-Hh8yYG0oeDj7Dk4GnfzYE4AH78ssBFmpH4WMICEvLUOpaBCnxh2FEeAiuevh9158IVkbjZsrXW5Tejg404PI5dtcwdNZnhqqNVsfVtfxj0kg8KFScYss9UAw1rnq17scnQWJrOH3Hhhx4NEZtMLc0sTIYQU7XnARV9Xqb1e26Hg-c_WuK1dKYmf4XdvxajvD9UBUh6Lg4DonLhIK-Gu5o5iRLvGbnMBkomBd7Kb5tPIyyLrZjyO8CAVik2ql3Z8X7HPis5IT4qw5kBeaPDqI20piMl5DI2-MWIikMX3BTT53MuY_X7pP2paUFTDLy1mGG5gUv8oJJot0s2ARFJrxkIYTMpIkz-78k2f4AbiquPVyPlx87Ub4FR38o7i88_2wsM4SZk8aIRSQ5rXFfrEgHoIVn-o-uv9nzE9sdHH8W7JzT7GJDyCaU5eFKw2MJzH6V3LkXNi941vE24BmOUKr4SdzJrnDtYcMjL6t42_xzoz4UKzvlqQE_JwX8-Aa7hV31DQ1Uu0Bf5DEUgPTIDFCoQZUC3WyHGmk7r7RF=w745-h841-no

Today my local tech diving store (Virginia Scuba) filled the tank with Oxygen for $0.50 per cubic foot, which was $7.50. That compares favorably to $50 at my local airport, and $35 at the local industrial gas place (which takes weeks to do a fill in any case). The adapter will pay for itself on the second fill.

The adapter, as delivered, leaked. The diving store added more teflon tape, problem solved.

Last edited:
Compressed air is different from ?oxygen?

Be careful with thinking you can fill your O2 tank at a scuba store. As a scuba diver, I know that we use compressed air in our tanks, not oxygen. There is a big difference between oxygen and compressed air!

Any dice shop that does technical diving will have oxygen bottles.

The other option is to get your own bottle. Last one I bought was about $30 for 300 cubic foot of O2.

If you are going to do that however, please make sure you know how to safe
Y handle O2. It isn?t hard but can be very unforgiving.

-Dan

Be careful with thinking you can fill your O2 tank at a scuba store. As a scuba diver, I know that we use compressed air in our tanks, not oxygen. There is a big difference between oxygen and compressed air!

Tim knows that. But to assure everyone, this particular dive shop carries air, nitrox, helium, and O2.

Last edited:
Back