What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 TW

Dmadd

Well Known Member
I never see any tail wheel RV-9s for sale. (with O-320) Why is that?
Are they THAT good? Folks hold on to them?

DM

Yes, they are that good!

That and there are not very many of them built with the little wheel in back.

I have time in over 90 makes and models and I can honestly say the -9 is the easiest tail dragged I have ever flown. Also, the -9 is the best harmonized of all the RV's.

I never see any tail wheel RV-9s for sale. (with O-320) Why is that?
Is your question about RV9s in general or only those with O320s?

Either way, not all that surprising. Basically vans intended the RV9A as a more docile, slower stall, non aerobatic version of the RV6/6A, that might appeal to those who might not care about aerobatics. They even advertised it as a great trainer. Unfortunately, the "trainer" connotation is what stuck. Those attracted to simple, easy to fly "trainers" are naturally much more likely to go for the tricycle A model. Consequently, not many RV9s period, whether with the (largest recommended) O320 or not.

All in all a bit of a shame because, as others said, the -9 is fantastic and flies nothing like any trainer I've ever flown! Had no tailwheel time when I started but building but choosing the tailwheel was one of the best decisions I made! Among other reasons, it just adds a whole additional element of fun!

Last edited:
RV-9 TW is unique

Everything I go to the hanger and see my RV-9, I get a tingling sensation down my legs. The kind of sensation that says yea, I did the right thing. Knowing that the RV-9 has the best safety record of all Van's designs is icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Everything I go to the hanger and see my RV-9, I get a tingling sensation down my legs. The kind of sensation that says yea, I did the right thing. Knowing that the RV-9 has the best safety record of all Van's designs is icing on the cake.
Well, an incident rate of 1 in 1000 is going to hit a group of 200 a lot slower than it's going to hit a group of 5000. The accident rate on the RV-14 is pretty stellar right now as well, isn't it? Not many RV-9's, not many RV-14's, yet.

RV9 N659DB

After all we've been through in eleven years and 1100 hrs........I could never sell.

s3naes.jpg

Back