What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

repair crack in canopy

nedricher

Well Known Member
Plane sat outside (cannopy cover on) for a week in Colodado. When I went to leave, discoverd a 5 inch crack in canpoy:mad:. Plane has 100 hrs on it. I stop driiled, taped it, and flew home. Has anyone had any experience with a crack repair. I was thinking of Weldon #3 or #4 wicked into the crack. It will no doubt be visible after the gluing but right now don't want to go to the expense in time and money to replace the bubble. Please don't comment on sika flex vs screwing the instalation as I have read all those arguments. Just looking for coments on repairs at this time. However if someone knows of a good deal on a new canopy available for sale, I'd like to here about that as some day I will be replacing it.
6scugy.jpg

P.m. me I will get your phone number and have my buddy who fixes those cracks give you a call. He can let you know all the products he uses. When he?s done you can?t even tell it was ever cracked

I used Weldon #3 on a crack and whilst it may have stabilized it, it certainly didn't hide it.

Any real world suggestions appreciated.

Repai

Guys,

Tim is steering you straight. I have personally witnesseed our buddy repairing a RV canopy and I can tell you, when he's finished the repaired area is pretty much undetectable. It takes skill, knowledge and technique but it can be done. The reason Tim isn't telling you the name of some "magic" goo is because there's alot more involved than just sticking two parts together.

Personally I have never repaired a canopy crack. That said I have a friend who has done several and he is very good. I don't know what the product is or how to apply it. With that in mind if you PM me I will fwd you his email and you can contact him yourself. Sorry I don't have more information.

I know this is an old thread... but has anyone discovered Tim's friend and used his method with any success???

I have a 12" crack in my -8 thanks to the cold and I need to repair for now. I'm thinking of using weldon 16 to glue a small plexi patch on the inside then flow weldon 4 into the crack from the outside. Does anyone have any experience repairing???

Back