What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jam nuts :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
But aren't those exact hinge assemblies, and maybe poor construction, the exact reason for this SB?

https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/service_bulletins/sb14-02-05.pdf

It certainly looks like this fix is spreading the loads over a larger area.

My suggestion was actually for a standard AN960 washer to get 50% more bearing area over a straight nut.

Is not properly torquing jam nuts a reason to change the design?

If that was done for every detail that people make mistakes on we would have to stop using the total performance description because that weight gain would make it no longer relevant.

Closed

OK. I am going to close this thread. If anyone wishes to start a thread on design changes, let's go with a new one. This one was intended by me to be a heads up/safety notice since I continue to find so many jam nuts/check nuts loose on flying airplanes.

I've heard from many of you that you are checking them, and some of you have even found loose ones. That's great!!! That was the purpose. :)

Vic

I don't remember where else I saw them, but will try to find it. However, even with an average of 6 on each of the 10K airplanes flying, that is a really big number. If there was a problem to be solved I honestly think it would have been noticed by now. Van's has done a pretty good job of issuing SB's where there has been cracking or other wear items.

The Tundra has the same hinge configuration for the elevators and rudder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back