Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2017, 04:04 PM

Make sure the elevator trim is correctly set, lightly collar the stick, slowly advance the power to a slow count of 3 and keep it straight.

Bingo !

Airborne with no fuss or panic.

Raising the tail is an old wive's tale from days of yore when performance and visibility over the nose were lacking. We certainly do not suffer from that and pushing the stick forward can lengthen the take off roll and give a very 'Meerkat' behaviour

Donated in 2017
Old 12-29-2017, 06:18 PM

Don't think I've heard that one before, lengthened T/off roll whilst on two wheels. Tail up less aerodynamic drag. Near 40 yrs of driving planes & I get the tail up as soon as I can for better tracking, each to their own I guess.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:51 PM

Put 500hrs on my -3 and in and out of KAVX a bunch and all but the first hour or two, I used the following technique: Get the TW up to a level attitude asap. Improves visibility, directional control (see #1), decreases angle of attack so you don't get launched in the air prematurely, looks cooler and is more fun . Try it, you might like it. Done properly, you can keep the mains (and the airplane) on the ground until long after flying speed (if you wanted to).
Old 12-29-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarshall234 View Post
Put 500hrs on my -3 and in and out of KAVX a bunch and all but the first hour or two, I used the following technique: Get the TW up to a level attitude asap. Improves visibility, directional control (see #1), decreases angle of attack so you don't get launched in the air prematurely, looks cooler and is more fun . Try it, you might like it. Done properly, you can keep the mains (and the airplane) on the ground until long after flying speed (if you wanted to).
You hoon, but it is fun getting that racing car feeling scooting along on the mains only till high speed then going straight up like a Saturn V Rocket
Old 12-29-2017, 09:00 PM

>You hoon

Thank you Sir. Yes, thank you very much.. Had to Wiki it and now I have a wonderful new word to add to my personal lexicon. A compliment indeed..

>Saturn V Rocket

You fully understand.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarshall234 View Post
>You hoon

Thank you Sir. Yes, thank you very much.. Had to Wiki it and now I have a wonderful new word to add to my personal lexicon. A compliment indeed..

>Saturn V Rocket

You fully understand.
Yes the analogy was meant to be of an amusing nature We all have a bit of 'Hoon' in us especially when it comes to HP:-)

HNY to those across the pond:-)
Old 12-31-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post
Don't think I've heard that one before, lengthened T/off roll whilst on two wheels. Tail up less aerodynamic drag. Near 40 yrs of driving planes & I get the tail up as soon as I can for better tracking, each to their own I guess.
Hmmm,

Tail up more drag !

You have to push it up

Tee Hee

Happy New Year from Barbados - at work, suffering a layover

Donated in 2017
Old 12-31-2017, 04:54 PM

I have played with trying to figure out the shortest takeoff rolls in my -9.

Tail up, tail down, flaps up, flaps down, etc.

Keep in mind I have a fixed pitch prop, not that it would make much difference when comparing takeoff lengths in the same plane.

1/3 or full flaps don't seem to make a measurable amount of difference. Thus I set the flaps to 1/3.

If I can avoid stopping, that is best, especially on soft fields, sometimes you just have to stop. Full power with the brakes locked is an option I try to avoid so I don't pickup up FOD.

As I apply power, I let the stick find its natural position and don't lift the tail. The plane will stagger into the air from a three-point position, I then lower the nose, and accelerate an inch or two off the ground before rotating to a Vx climb.

That works well for me and your mileage may very.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-31-2017, 07:13 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
I have played with trying to figure out the shortest takeoff rolls in my -9.

Tail up, tail down, flaps up, flaps down, etc.

Keep in mind I have a fixed pitch prop, not that it would make much difference when comparing takeoff lengths in the same plane.

1/3 or full flaps don't seem to make a measurable amount of difference. Thus I set the flaps to 1/3.

If I can avoid stopping, that is best, especially on soft fields, sometimes you just have to stop. Full power with the brakes locked is an option I try to avoid so I don't pickup up FOD.

As I apply power, I let the stick find its natural position and don't lift the tail. The plane will stagger into the air from a three-point position, I then lower the nose, and accelerate an inch or two off the ground before rotating to a Vx climb.

That works well for me and your mileage may very.
I rarely see a 9 with conventional gear, much nicer looking plane
CSU are far better for getting the rated HP at T/off resulting in a shorter roll but FP is nice & simple:-)
Old 12-31-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I rarely see a 9 with conventional gear, much nicer looking plane
Neither do I, unless I look in my hangar, but I have to agree, they do look nicer.

Quote:
CSU are far better for getting the rated HP at T/off resulting in a shorter roll but FP is nice & simple:-)
I have to agree but I also like the lightweight and performance of the Catto prop!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html