- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayforge View Post
The mount gets riveted to side stringers. Vans has a plans page for it and it's on the Plans DVD.

I've heard that ELTs mounted there don't stay put in crashes, so I mounted mine to the center fuse rib that the elevator autopilot servo gets mounted to.

I can't recall a single failure of either of Van's engineered brackets for the strobe pack or ELT. Please, tell us more.
Repeat Offender / Race 007
Friend of the RV-1
Old 12-05-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeofReiley View Post
I can't recall a single failure of either of Van's engineered brackets for the strobe pack or ELT. Please, tell us more.
When I was researching where to install the ELT, I recall seeing references to ELTs ripping away from the stringer mounting location. Unfortunately, I didn't archive the links. :-(

VAF Donation made: 3/31/2017, My RV-7A Build Log
Old 12-09-2015, 06:22 AM

I plan to use the Van's mount in its standard location on the right side. Installation was problematic with pop rivets due to head size of rivet gun for top rivets, causing a gap under the head of the rivet, and the angle for installing the bottom rivets.

My solution was to use #6 screws and nuts for the bottom holes and an aluminum washer under the head of the pop rivets on the top holes so the gun head could reach and achieve proper squeeze.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 12-10-2015, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Please provide details regarding what you have heard.....

The reason that question is important is that the ELT/PWR MOUNT from Vans was designed using standard engineering principles. It was designed to take the load of the ELT ( <4 lbs) in a crash of 20+ G's.
(Yes, 20. VAF is full of posts of people doing their own engineering and saying "I am sure it can take 9 G's. I wont go into it here.... google it....a survivable crash is way above 9 G's) That means the mount has to take 80 lbs.
There are hundreds of RV's flying with ELT's mounted to this bracket, so if you know of problems, please share them so it can be researched.

I am guessing that the comment was more likely based on comments from peoples WAG of what a properly designed ELT mount should look like (.125 thick angles and .063 plates with 100's of rivets )

Please confirm.
Hi,

Would it be possible for you to confirm what thickness the plate is ? I assume it is .032 2024-T3 ??

I like the idea of mounting it on the stringers ...

Best regards

Jan

Slooow RV6, no hole, builder in UK
Paid up for 2015 ...
Old 01-07-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanRV6UK View Post
Hi,

Would it be possible for you to confirm what thickness the plate is ? I assume it is .032 2024-T3 ??

I like the idea of mounting it on the stringers ...

Best regards

Jan
Can anyone confirm the thickness of F-7129 in the Van's ELT mount? I'm looking to adapt it to an RV-8, but the Van's part is only for the RV-7/9.
Tail kit completed on Feb 8, 2012 (180 hrs)
Wing kit mostly completed, fuselage under construction as of March 6, 2014 (750 hrs)
Paid up for 2018