Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpattonsoa View Post
I did not say I have to remove pants to air the tires. The -10 has huge pants and with a straight stem as provided in the kit, you have to remove the front half to add air. I don't.

My pants have a 1 1/2" snap in cover, the tires a big red paint dot that lines up the stem with the opening when it is down, the tube is a 45 degree stem so it is horizontal, and an inflator with a 10" long extension and it is still a pita to add air.

I just want to monitor the inflation pressure easily so I can add air at my leisure, not under time pressure!
Which I agree would be a nice thing to be able to do.

Unfortunately, as on most all forums, if you ask about X, you'll get all sorts of responses that do everything but actually answer your question. These threads are filled with examples.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:17 PM

Default Car?

I was wondering if the toyota TPS system can be made to work? The coding cant be that tough and the sensors are small enough

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for thier use.

Extra dues paid 2018, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings 90%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 01-11-2018, 01:42 PM

As car tires are tubeless the sensors are inside the tire, where these are on the outside because of tubes being used. It will be interesting to hear how these motorcycle types work out.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:16 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb3zero View Post
I just ordered this yesterday to see if it would work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162705306876

The caps look huge and I have my doubts but I'm going for it anyway. I will let you know as soon as I see the results. Ed
Interested to hear how they work. The older tech only activated when the wheels were in motion, so a leak-in-flight- was not detectable.

Please post a pirep when tested.

RV-7
Op Lims in hand 12-7-17
Prep for 1st flight underway.
2017 Dues Paid
Old 01-11-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Interested to hear how they work. The older tech only activated when the wheels were in motion, so a leak-in-flight- was not detectable.

Please post a pirep when tested.
I'd be not very concerned with that capability...it's more the ability to monitor the pressure on a sort of continuous basis, over weeks/months, and note if it's low enough to do whatever it takes to access the tire and fill it up.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:23 PM

Default wheel chocks

I realize that the OP wants to monitor the tire pressure from his bedroom, but I thought I'd throw this out anyway. A pair of properly or accidentally constructed U shaped wheel chocks act like a tire pressure gauge. Mine are PVC pipe. If they "hang" when you are removing them, then it is time to add air.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:08 AM

I got the Accutire pressure system and opened it up. Looks good and is easy to set up. It is not installed on the plane yet as I am worried about the weight of the caps that screw onto the stem of the tube. These things are pretty big measuring 1 inch tall with the diameter of a quarter. The G's that these things will put on the stems going from zero to 70 mph in an instant and then rolling down the runway at high small tire speeds has me concerned that I will just eventually shear the stems off. The kit comes with lead weights to help balance the tire if needed.

I think I will just put these on my motorcycle and for now wait until we discover something a little better for the plane....waiting patiently for that day!!!

Meanwhile I better get to church, gotta get married today!...again.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:19 AM

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ickkey=4809133
Old 01-13-2018, 02:00 AM

Default Motorcycle TPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb3zero View Post
I just ordered this yesterday to see if it would work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162705306876

The caps look huge and I have my doubts but I'm going for it anyway. I will let you know as soon as I see the results. Ed
I'm curious how you will: "...just program factory tire pressure into the caps and place caps on valve stems." Do they send you an operational program to download to your computer, and then you have to plug the sensor into your computer to receive the programing? Please update the list with what you find out / discover. thx.

Doug

RV-3A sold
RV-9A Mazda 13B / FWF (on hold)
Old 01-13-2018, 08:47 AM

Maybe someday someone will design a circuit that is imbedded into the tubes which measures the pressure and transmits it out.

Should be possible now.