VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-04-2017, 11:44 AM

Default Glue on windscreen

I have a RV6A that is getting close to flying. When we pulled the plastic off the windscreen there is some tape glue left on it from where we did the glass work. I need to know is what would be safe to use to remove the glue?

Thanks Dannie
Old 12-04-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6adan View Post
I have a RV6A that is getting close to flying. When we pulled the plastic off the windscreen there is some tape glue left on it from where we did the glass work. I need to know is what would be safe to use to remove the glue?

Thanks Dannie
The -7 instructions say to use mineral spirits. It will not damage the canopy. Worked well for me.
Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 12-17-2017, 09:37 PM

I used mineral spirits on mine recently and it was fine but I didn’t leave it on very long either.

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6adan View Post

Thanks Dannie
I highly recommend you go to the archives on this and get a lot of information. It's all there. In the meantime you need to be very circumspect about taking advice on this topic. Acrylic is highly susceptible to damage from a huge range of chemicals/solvents. In fact there's not much that WONT damage it. I have seen so much erroneous advice given on this topic. Quite often when acrylic is damaged at the molecular level the stress cracks do not appear until further down the track.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:21 PM

Vans, Verbatim.

“Grease, oil, tape residue, etc. may best be removed with mineral spirits, refined kerosene,
white gasoline, naphtha, or isopropyl alcohol. Wash approved solvents off the canopy with Dawn dishwashing liquid and water.”
Sydney, AUS
Old 12-18-2017, 04:04 AM

Default From the canopy manufacturer...

Airplane Plastics make the canopies for Van's Aircraft. Here is the information posted on their web site:

How should I clean my canopy?

Use cleaners specifically for acrylic. A damp cloth or an air blast will clean the dust away. To achieve the best results use fore and aft motion instead of a circular motion. To clean dirty acrylics use plenty of water and non-abrasive soap or detergent. All-cotton flannel can be used for drying. Never use aromatic solvents such as acetone, benzene, carbon tetrachloride, lighter fluid, lacquer thinners, gasoline, window sprays, concentrated alcohol, ketones or scouring compounds. Avoid using cleaners with ammonia, such as 409. Grease, oil or tape residue may be removed with kerosene, white gasoline, naphtha or isopropyl alcohol (Do not use isopropyl alcohol on extruded acrylic). Mineral spirits is our favorite. Wash approved solvents off of canopy with Dawn dishwashing liquid or equivalent and water followed by a clear water rinse. To prevent water spots, blow dry with compressed air or wipe dry with soft cotton flannel.
Track Me
VAF 2018 Donor
"He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he that demands one iota more is a fool."
Old 12-18-2017, 09:09 AM

Default lighter fluid vs. Naptha

Strange - I thought lighter fluid and naptha were the same thing. Not sure I'd use isopropyl alcohol, since I don't know if our canopies are extruded acrylic, and I've seen it glaze some plastics.

I guess kerosene is the safest thing to use.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:09 PM

Thanks everyone, I was just not sure what to use and did not want to destroy the canopy.

Dannie
Old 01-21-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
Strange - I thought lighter fluid and naptha were the same thing.
I think "naptha" is a generic term used to describe a wide range of petroleum products.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 01-21-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
I think "naptha" is a generic term used to describe a wide range of petroleum products.
Quite true, and the same thing can be said about "mineral spirits". These substances can be dangerous for the simple reason you cannot be sure exactly what you're getting.

Personally I'm with Mickey Coggins on this one....kerosene only. It's widely available and you know exactly what you're getting. But use it sparingly and don't get it in drilled holes or on cut edges. And wash it off immediately afterwards with a mild dishwashing detergent in water.

You just CANNOT be too careful about what you put on a formed acrylic canopy.

Last edited by Captain Avgas : 01-21-2018 at 07:03 PM.