Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-17-2017, 07:32 AM

Default Slider Canopy Removal

Gents,

What is the best way to remove a slider canopy to work on the plane? By best way I mean most efficient and least likely to cause damage. Looking at how it is built, there are at least 3 different ways to remove it. I bought the anti splat almost a 14 kit and it will be much easier to install without the canopy on. Thanks for the help.

Mike
Old 12-17-2017, 07:52 AM

Default Easy with 2

Unbolt the roller bracket from the canopy frame at the front lower corners. One person on each side with canopy open, hold the rear edge with one hand and lift the front off the roller brackets with the other hand. Slide the canopy back until the rear guide is off the track. Hope this helps.
760 hr
Stoughton, WI
Formally of Lafayette, IN
Old 12-17-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Smidler View Post
Unbolt the roller bracket from the canopy frame at the front lower corners. One person on each side with canopy open, hold the rear edge with one hand and lift the front off the roller brackets with the other hand. Slide the canopy back until the rear guide is off the track. Hope this helps.
This is how I do it. About once a year (for my condition inspection). Makes it much easier to do the inspection of the flap linkages and elevator bellcrank. Also, a good opportunity to give the interior of the canopy a good cleaning.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 12-17-2017, 08:12 AM

I made the rear blocks removable, so they can be unbolted from the bottom side. It's easy to remove the bolts with a socket; once the blocks are removed, the whole canopy can be slid off the tracks and then lifted off the fuselage.

VAF #836
For organizational convenience I have disabled private messaging, but please feel free to contact me by email.
Please note that any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not those of my employer.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Smidler View Post
Are you referring to the part where the roller slides up into the U-shaped tube that makes the frame? Just one bolt per side? Which would actually leave the rollers on the track?

Thanks for the ideas.

Mike
Old 12-17-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWH265 View Post
Are you referring to the part where the roller slides up into the U-shaped tube that makes the frame? Just one bolt per side? Which would actually leave the rollers on the track?

Thanks for the ideas.

Mike
Yep, the rollers are left in the tracks.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 12-17-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWH265 View Post
Yes, the rollers will remain on the track.
760 hr
Stoughton, WI
Formally of Lafayette, IN
Old 12-17-2017, 12:35 PM

Thanks Guys, I may looking into building something like Matt has too.

Mike