What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TailCone F1032 Longeron Hole Edge Distance

steve murray

Well Known Member
Just did the final drilling on the tailcone assembly and then took it all apart for debur, dimple, prime. Upon disassembly I noticed on the F1032 L & R Longhorns the edge hole distance on the left & right longerons is less than 1 dia for the #12 holes (AN3 bolt holes) that are drilled through aft deck to mount F1012D Up elevator stop and not quite so bad but also less than 1 dia for the AN3 holes at the F101B location that are.

Spoke to Vans and they said they are not worried as this area is very tighty boxed up with lots of structure and they cannot always have the edge\hole distance they want.

Has anyone else noticed this issue. The holes used to drill the holes for F1012D elevator stop are defined by me via the fabrication of this F1012D part but the outboard holes drilled thru the F1010B are defined by the pre-punced holes in the F1014 aft deck. I am quite certain the longeron was in the right location but edge distance is smaller than I like.

Other experience would be much appreciated.

Steve
RV8 Flying
RV10 - Tailcone

Hi Steve,

Same here. I wouldn't expect that bit of the longeron to take much stress. The vertical stabilizer & horizontal stabilizer attach are well forward of those holes.

If Van's says OK, I'm comfortable with it. Good catch, though! I don't think I would have caught that until I was bolting things up. Maybe not even then since it will be covered by the deck!

I did. I checked it this morning after seeing your post.

Sounds like we're in a similar place in our builds. I'm in the process of finishing the hole deburring on the skins, dimpling and priming as I go. Three skins left and then the riveting fun begins!

Eric,

Thanks for the response. Even though Van's said it was OK, I am glad to confirm my condition is the norm. I have spent several days worrying over this issue.

Sounds like you are several weeks ahead of me.

Is the lead time for wing kit running about 8 weeks?

Steve

Back