- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Well, anybody but one, at least.
Thats why I said anybody with common sense, nobody is accusing the original poster of having common sense.
first flight May 2, 1997
RV8 #83830 tail done
Wing and fuselage kits ordered
Old 06-01-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylor View Post
Way over what? Maybe Vno, but not indicated Vne. The indicated limit of 210 mph is about 182 knots. The OP's stated 234 KTAS would be approximately 180 KIAS (I used 16,400' PA, 29.92 in Hg and 35F OAT, reasonable numbers for this time of year.)..

I'm not trying to justify what the OP did, just pointing out that he likely was not over indicated Vne and especially not "way over".

Skylor
Except that, as noted multiple times in this thread, Vne for Vans is true airspeed, not indicated. So yes, he was over. Quite a bit over.

Though now it's appearing more likely the entire event was a fabrication, so there's no point rehashing it.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
Except that, as noted multiple times in this thread, Vne for Vans is true airspeed, not indicated. So yes, he was over. Quite a bit over.

Though now it's appearing more likely the entire event was a fabrication, so there's no point rehashing it.
I'm not disputing that, I'm disputing Bill's claim that he was not only way over TAS VNE but also way over IAS VNE. Read the quote in my original post.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:44 PM

It seems that it would be simple for Vans to A) Immediately update the incorrect manuals to list Vne in TAS and B) Publish an official and easily accessible statement that simply states that "Vne is expressed in TAS", perhaps in the form of a service bulletin or notification to update old manuals and panel markings. Yes, they have published other articles over the years that delve into the issue, but I think a simple statement would be best. Had I not decided to research the subject, I could have been using the wrong speeds as well. As I mentioned, my 2016 build manual specifically stated that Vne was given in IAS. My EFIS has the option to convert Vne to either IAS or TAS - if I had trusted the manual, I'd have picked the wrong option. Again, I did further research. Many others did not. Such an important issue, why allow any confusion? I know it's frustrating to have to "dumb things down" for the "lowest common denominator" but I want to keep my insurance rates low!

Chris

Last edited by YellowJacket RV9 : 06-01-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:01 PM

Default Earl Findlay

Here's another thread from our buddy Earl.

Thread title - engine dies momentarily.

Quote:
For the last 25 hours, since I finished the condition inspection, about five times now, when cruising or descending, the engine stalls out for just a split second and then comes back alive. By the time one can react, it's back and purring.

I changed the spark plugs at the last condition inspection and did a compression check (78, 78, 79, 80). Oil analysis was good.

Pmag and Lightspeed ignition.

Should I change out my plugs again? Or any suggestions where to start? Prior to the RV flying it's been 25 years since I flew. I have about 50 hours on it now. Maybe this is not abnormal and I have forgot about it? Absolutely no other trouble indications.

This guy has to be a troll. He's enjoying getting everybody excited and seeing our reactions.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74-07 View Post
Here's another thread from our buddy Earl.
Let's not give him any more air time than necessary. Feeding the troll just makes the troll bigger.

It might be time for the moderators to close this thread.