What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Opinion on closing up the wings

Surfdoc

Trying to get back in the swing of things... Ready to rivet the bottom skins on. Question, should I alight the ailerons now or when all is said and done and wings are on the fuse and align flaps aileron and wingtips? I am trying not to "un-do" things later on. Just wondering what others have done before me.

Not far behind you

I'm just finishing off my ailerons and flaps, in fact I aligned the ailerons yesterday with the skins off. My thoughts are to get all the flaps & ailerons on, and aligned, then do the bottom skins. I'm setting them to what Van's say in the plans, though I'm also banking on some adjustment to the rigging once wings go on the fuse. It was easy getting the W-930 plate onto the bell crank without the skin in the way.

Aileron linkage will get in your way during riveting.
Do your initial bellcrank/linkage adjustments, remove them before starting riveting, or during, your choice.

Just me

I put the wing skins on after the autopilot servo and pitot tube was installed. I think the aileron control rod gets in the way. I did no more alignments than what the instructions said. I did not wire the tip lights, but I did have conduit in the wings for later wiring.
I decide to rivet the wing skins on know because I wasnt sure how rusty my riveting skills would be when it came to do it at the end of the build.

I rigged the ailerons and flaps after putting the bottom skins on. It was no big deal. I'm not sure how different the -9 wing is from the -7 though.

Back