What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Champion Spark Plug Resistors

mhowards

I'm New Here
This probably goes more into the category of curiosity but I haven't seen mention of it here or in Google searches. Obviously, it's simple to measure the resistance of a plug with a multimeter. On some plugs that have been sitting around, maybe too long and in too much humidity, it can be hard to get a reading. If you unscrew the screw and spring assembly within the plug the resistor comes out and it's easy to measure. It's also easy to see why you could not get a reading. There are many contact points within that assembly that can oxidize.

I have seen plugs that look great but have very high resistance and some ugly ones with low resistance. Why not swap resistors, clean up oxidation, clean the plug and at least have a really nice spare? Also, why doesn't Champion just sell new resistors? They can't cost much and seem so easy to replace.

I know, why the heck don't I just spend the money and buy new plugs? Maybe I'm missing something here but I would at least like to know what's wrong with this idea.

I should add that even the plugs with high resistance seem to fire just fine on a benchtop tester.

Mark
RV-6A N228P - built the lazy way

Last edited:
I should add that even the plugs with high resistance seem to fire just fine on a benchtop tester.

Mark
RV-6A N228P - built the lazy way

a benchtop tester doesn't simulate high altitude conditions. High resistance in the ignition circuit will limit the conditions under which the plug can fire strongly enough to light a charge. Lean F/A mixture conditions make it harder for the spark to lite the charge, requiring greater spark energy. Also, low oxygen density environments make it harder for the energy to jump the gap, again requiring more energy to the plug.

The higher the resistance, the less energy that gets to the plugs electrodes.

Larry

Last edited:
Back