What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filling small gaps in the firewall?

In forming our firewall, we ended up with very small gaps at both top corners where the bends in the sheetmetal terminate. Not a big deal, but definitely not something I'm willing to leave unaddressed. I'd be interested to know how you guys have addressed the problem of filling small gaps like these in the firewall. Is there are particular product/material/method recommended that will stand up to the fire test??

Biotherm

These guys sell a special hi temp caulk just for that purpose.

http://www.epm-avcorp.com/

When I installed the EPM stainless steel heater valve, I got curious about the Biotherm 100 caulk that they include with it, which is the same stuff they sell separately in small quantities for jobs like firewall sealing. It seems like pretty good stuff, but if you shop around you can get a tube big enough for a dozen RV's for less than what EPM charges for their little tubes. Here's one source. I picked up a tube and plan to use it to fill gaps around the top of the firewall after I rivet on the forward top skin.

cheers,
mcb

EPM also sells a large tube, seems it was about $15 or so.

I had to ask for it, wasnt on their site.

Back