What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inverted fuel system

Rkfrv6

I'm New Here
I have a carbureted Lycoming O-320-A2D on an RV-6 and would like the ability to fly inverted with 1 negative G. Has anyone heard of an aerobatic carburetor that can be installed or is the only option to convert to FI?

Does a wing tank have an operable flop tube?

Either the Ellison or the Rotec TBI from Australia could work- though their airflow demands and other details do not make it a simple swap.

It does not. I have been considering a flop tube as well as inverted oil, but have read post saying you can get at least 20 seconds of inverted flight before running out of fuel with a fuel injected system. With the difficulties of switching to fuel injection, it got me wondering if there was such an item as an aerobatic carb on the market.

Had one on an S1S, it was dandy. Needs 15psi fuel pumps, mechanical and backup. I don't know, but suspect, the PS5 may be more tolerant of the FAB without many airflow mods, so changing the fuel pumps, though pricey, may make for a faster overall mod. The electric pump would be much larger than a Facet cube.

Does a PS5C have the same height and footprints as a MS carb? Vapor return also becomes an issue, so might as well actually add a flop tube pickup and inverted oil of same fashion.

The PS5 was plentiful on early Bonanzas and it was decent on many a Pitts, but have not seen many in the RV world.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Does not look like the Stromberg pressure carb is available new anymore. Guess I will probably go with the Ellison EFS-4 fuel injectected system.

Back